Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today, Delayed GPU Switching Comes To Linux

Phoronix: Today, Delayed GPU Switching Comes To Linux

Two days ago we reported on hybrid graphics coming to Linux in a crude form that allowed switching between graphics processors on notebook computers that utilize dual graphics processors, one that's meant to deliver the best energy efficient performance while the other GPU is for maximizing the graphics performance in demanding environments. Just 24 hours after this kernel patch hit the Internet it already went through four revisions by Red Hat's David Airlie, which delivered better switching and greater notebook compatibility...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if Dave Airlie is a robot?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
      I wonder if Dave Airlie is a robot?
      That's possible. Is it me or we are getting better news from day to day ?
      LOL

Comment

Something is going on guys... some kind of virus is spreading among the opnsource community... can't be explained otherwise... one ton of great news every day is just too much ... but I'm sure we can handle them...

Comment

Congratulations for all the great work that made this possible!!!
          Thanks to Albert Vilella for his blog (http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/) and perseverance!
          Thanks to David Airlie for his astonishing rate of work!

If somebody could make some "How to" to test this on Fedora 12 (kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64) it would be great, or better some .rpm package. I'm too inexperienced to try to build my own kernel with this patch (not that I didn't try...)

Comment

I have a normal desktop system, ASRock board with a IGP (Radeon HD3200), but also a Radeon HD 4770 is installed in the PCIe slot.
            BIOS is configured to boot VGA from the PCIe.

What I'd like to know: Would it be possible to abuse this tool to reduce power consumption of the system by completly deactivating the IGP that's onboard?

Comment

This is awesome.

The ideal scenario would be the ability to switch it on the fly, while X Server is still running. Judging the pace from the outside looking in, we'll have it some time next week. :P

I'm guessing the code necessary to make this work would also have to be written on X.org's end.

Comment

disabling one of the available graphics cards

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                I have a normal desktop system, ASRock board with a IGP (Radeon HD3200), but also a Radeon HD 4770 is installed in the PCIe slot.
                BIOS is configured to boot VGA from the PCIe.

What I'd like to know: Would it be possible to abuse this tool to reduce power consumption of the system by completly deactivating the IGP that's onboard?
                I would like to know the same thing myself.

If the IGP is not completely disabled, it would draw power and also produce unnecessary heat. The heatsink gets pretty hot.
                And conversely, if one does not need the dedicated graphics for a while, it would be good if there was some way to disable it completely without having to physically remove it.

Comment

The acpi methods used by the tool are only available on hybrid laptops. You could however suspend cards cards that are not in use (doesn't disable the card completely, but puts it in D3 sleep).

Comment

oh, where linux would be without red hat and it's developers....

seriously, imagine if redhat was a closed source company.

linux would be sooo behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X