Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    deanjo:
    Intel and ATI are known to be good for the open source ecosystem. nvidia gives a shit on it. From that perspective it trust Intel and AND way more than nvidia. It's not only a license question.
    The mere fact that vdpau was released freely contradicts that statement, nvidia has always participated in open standards. They are a key figure in the Khronos group after all and many of their extensions get put into the official specs of openCL, openGL, etc etc. Not to mention the help they have offered back in the opensource community in the implementation with it.

If it's the best, if there are no concerns regarding the license and if it's open and also no concerns regarding the problem I asked for, then take it.
    That's the thing, there are no license issues and it is by every definition open.

I'd also be interested in a developers view, if VDPAU is suitable for e.g. AMD or Intel cards, although VDPAU is developed (?) for nvidia cards. And which accel technology they contemplate. And why.

Thx again.
    VDPAU was developed for any card, it is not a driver, it is an API, currently only nvidia and S3 GPU's support it but given proper driver support it can be used for pretty much any card. Again I have to refer back to what MostAwesomeDude posted back here:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

i'm not convinced that nvidia is a bad company. they do support open source it seems.

but why would they open source their driver? i wouldn't if i were them. and i'm all for running completely open source everything.

if a majority of people used linux, it might be an option.
      imagine if nvidia announced they went open source. 90+% of their users wouldn't care in ANY WAY.(windows users)

and in the process, they would give all their trade secrets to everyon.

VERY BAD MOVE

on another note, it seems that almost all hardware/software companies want an open source platform.
      EA Games has said that they'd rather develop for an open source console.
      i bet many companies would

Comment

Thanks for the link, deanjo.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
          if a majority of people used linux, it might be an option.
          imagine if nvidia announced they went open source. 90+% of their users wouldn't care in ANY WAY.(windows users)

and in the process, they would give all their trade secrets to everyon.

VERY BAD MOVE
          Yeah because it's all such a secret, total bs. :P

The reason is due to DRM crap that I don't want to pay for nor want on my machine any way that just complicates things and raises prices.

DO NOT WANT

I'll stick to the open source drivers when I can kthnx.

Comment

Working...
          X