Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From Linux GPU Drivers In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    Working Suspend resume on NVIDIA binary.
    Suspend to RAM and to disk (hibernate) has been working for me in Ubuntu and the nVidia binary drivers since Ubuntu 7.04. It still works today (Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 nVidia GTX260, driver version 195.30), no issues at all.

Comment

The way it's meant to be supported

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      That they improve to the point where a thread like this would have no sense. This is, parity with Windows.
      Good point, except it isn't really "parity with Windows" but rather just "the way any hardware must be supported if it's manufacturer values his customers", simply because if you get screwed, you're not likely to be coming back for more. As far as I'm concerned, that's just the way it is

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
        Direct3D

I can dream can't I?
        That would be awesome, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          That would be awesome, actually.
          I couldn't see it being any good for OpenGL though. I think I'll pass on Direct 3D for Linux.

Comment

From the OS ATI drivers, I would love them to have the power saving capabilities of fglrx.

From the FGLRX stand point, I would like to see XvBA released to the mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              The only thing I really want is the open source drivers to get their ass in gear with openCL support so that the multimedia programmers have motivation to get gpu assisted encoding going in linux. It's so sad to use a open API you really have to use a closed system.
              +1

character limit

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
                Direct3D

I can dream can't I?
                I've been slapping this together over the past few days.

Comment

Getting all parts of nouveau (kernel, drm, mesa,...) into releases so that distros can pick it up. Even if it remains beta quality, at least it wouldn't be such a megahassle to try it out.

Comment

ATI can dump their binary blob as the open source ATI driver is rapidly moving towards blissful endings.
                    Nvidia better keep working on that sucker cause there is going to be problems that reverse engineers just can't ever get around.

Comment

Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
                      I couldn't see it being any good for OpenGL though.
                      That's the point.

Comment

Working...
                      X