Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From Linux GPU Drivers In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want graphics development to unite behind Gallium3D. And I would really like to see Intel get behind this so that Tungsten/VMware doesn't have to do the work for them.

And then, of course, I want lots of state trackers.

Comment

Forgot one thing.... complete and open psb drivers would be nice...

Comment

I like Zajec's ATI list in terms of priority and feasibility.

Saying that you want full OpenGL 3.x support, a gallium driver, and video decode acceleration ASAP sounds like asking Santa for a pony.

EDIT: I want a pony, or maybe even a unicorn
        Last edited by DanL; 21 January 2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Stable function deployment

I'd like the development groups and distributions to deploy stable code incrementally, to avoid the video fiasco that happened at the end of 2008 through most of 2009.

Creating unstable code for testing is great - release early and often. But deploying that unstable code as the default for end-users just leaves a bad experience.

Distributions (I'm looking at you Fedora and Ubuntu) need to select stable video drivers and support code as defaults. End users don't file bug reports, so regressing their video only makes them angry. Having a stable base to revert to makes bug reporting easier for those that do report bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
            I know that might not always = more games in linux.

Better opengl3.x support would be great because a game developer wont make a 3.x game if there is no hardware out there for consumers to play the game on.

I would think having more game developers familiar with open gl would be better than dx only.
            Couple of problems there, one of them is that game development schools and classes focus on DX development the other is that most game developers that do support openGL will recommend the blobs because of their optimized GL stacks vs a generic Mesa stack for performance reasons.

Comment

Power management. Doesn't have to be any fancy dynamic stuff for me, in fact I prefer something to be exposed to user space so I can put the GPU in 'desktop' or 'game' mode myself.

Good compatibility with wine, if this requires certain OpenGL 3.x extensions so be it. But otherwise I really don't care that much about OpenGL 3.x.

And of course full evergreen support.

All above with the open source drivers for radeon cards in mind.

Comment

FOSS ati:
                - complete, bugfree, available-in-stable-versions dri2+kms+opengl2
                For r500 ofc, don't really care about the later parts

- other FOSS drivers could see some care: trident,sis,s3. Trident hasn't been working for some chips in the last three Xorg releases..

edit: Oh, and VIA should get complete stable drivers out with at least OGL 1.5. For the full range.
                Last edited by curaga; 21 January 2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Newest Nvidia card around me are 8800GTS and below, with some small Quadro cards in between. Of Nvidia I only wish that their newer cards work as well and give as few problems like I'm used too. Nvidia embracing open source would give many points.

ATI I have no recent experience with, but I'm 90% sure I'll buy a R700 card soonish (thought I would have already..). I'm not totally comfortable with this, but I have to respect AMD/ATI for their open source effort. So my hope/wish/expectations of (open source) ATI would be:

1) Complete OpenGL 2.x/3.x support. This is my primary concern. All ARB extensions used by Blender (and preferably most DCC apps) should work fast and flawlessly. If I'm told that DCC is only possible with a FireGL/PRO and closed drivers, I call BS and feel pushed towards Nvidia.

2) Power Management? Well yes that would be very nice!

3) OpenCL would be nice too!

4) Stability and performance. I'd like to feel I'm using a very powerful GPU which R700 is, and not having to wait until 2015 before I can use 80% of the card...

I really hope I don't have to use ATI's closed driver...

Comment

r600/700/800:
                    - 3D support
                    - Video acceleration (shaders?)
                    - Power management

Comment

nvidia promised support for xrandr for some time now. I hope they will do it AFTER xrandr starts support for multiple GPUs!
                      At the moment it is the only driver that can run multiple GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                      X