Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From Linux GPU Drivers In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    Working Suspend resume on NVIDIA binary.
    STD or STR? STR is working here, haven't tried STD.

Comment

Open source ATI drivers:
      - Good power management
      - Thorough DRI2 support
      - Complete and high performance OpenGL support
      - VDPAU :P

Catalyst for Linux:
      - 2D support as fast as the open drivers
      - Correct XV support
      - VSync on composited desktops
      - Video acceleration worthy of that name (like NVidia's VDPAU)

So in short: both drivers should work and perform as one would expect from a Windows driver :P

Comment

Would love some open-source support for the XvBA acceleration, to go with the full 3D & KMS for R600/R700. Though on the latter I can see (on a daily basis) how hard everyone's working - it's all very-much appreciated.

Comment

I would like to see hybrid graphic configuration been implemented in open source drivers. Thanks!

Comment

Hi

Dynamic Power management is the most important Feature for me
            because Power consumption is very important, not only on Notebooks.

greetings

Comment

R600/700/800 G3D including video decode acceleration.

Comment

From NVIDIA, I expect hardware programming manual publishing and to stop their binary driver and to join forces on proper Linux dev.
                From ATI/AMD, faster hardware programming specs pusblishing and same fate than nvidia for their binary driver.

Comment

Open source drivers:
                  1. Power management (yeah, I made the mistake of buying a high-end graphics card even though I don't play games)
                  2. Kernel modesetting (mostly solved by now)

Comment

I second the suggestions by everybody preceding me...
                    And I think we can summarize all the posts with one single sentence:

our hardware has certain features.. we'd like the drivers to exploit/enable those features!!!! (Let me say, feature parity with windows...)

First we want basic things to work: 2D, resume/suspend, video accel... then evolute features: 3D, HDMI, GPU computing...

Some of use is even concerned about the WAY this could be achieved:
                    via proprietary/closed source rather than via open source drivers... by using modern/fancy/fashion technologies such as gallium3D, or OpenCL, KMS or DRI2

That's what we want! we want our hardware to show the features it was designed to!!!!

* one consideration is to add here: it's not only a matter of drivers. Drivers are a layer between hardware and OS... if some part of the OS environment is broken or its design is old or not fit yet to allow some technology (think of X server) then it's not only drivers' fault. In those cases drivers designers should wait for Linux to evolve or overwrite parts of it (as happens with nVidia closed drivers)
                    Last edited by TeoLinuX; 21 January 2010, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                      From NVIDIA, I expect hardware programming manual publishing and to stop their binary driver and to join forces on proper Linux dev.
                      From ATI/AMD, faster hardware programming specs pusblishing and same fate than nvidia for their binary driver.
                      Maybe we should focus on realistic expectations.

Comment

Working...
                      X