Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any modern ARM platform with open graphics? (Cortex-A8, A9, Snapdragon, Tegra 2...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone more knowledgeable than me please comment on the significance of this:

http://www.malideveloper.com/drivers.php

In particular, what is missing to create a "complete driver stack" that is free software?

Comment

Originally posted by chrno View Post
      Can someone more knowledgeable than me please comment on the significance of this:

http://www.malideveloper.com/drivers.php

In particular, what is missing to create a "complete driver stack" that is free software?
      Quite a bit, actually. All this is providing is the interrupt dispatch and possibly the kernel side memory management pieces- I'd have to look at it to be sure. If it's what I think it is, it's closely analogous to the part that resides in the KMS and DRM2 stuff with other GPUs. It's important, yes- but it's nowhere near enough for the full monty.

Comment

Broadcom BCM70012 and BCM70015 linux drivers

Search technical documentation and downloads including firmware and drivers.

BCM70012 and BCM70015 drivers, suitable for linux 2.6.11 and above, been available for some time.

Comment

for an open 3d stack? no.

Comment

broadcoooom

broadcom. they are _such_ little toe-rags. you'd think they'd get it by now

ok you twisted my arm, i have to actually download this and look at it instead of just saying "it's there, be happy".

right. WOW, it contains GPL kernel module, a GST plugin (LGPL), a KDE4 plugin, and WHOOPS some proprietary firmware blobs.

so, apart from the proprietary firmware blobs, it's all "Good". and, there are articles online which give hints that the BCM70015 uses Intel GMA graphics hardware (from somewhere) which, if that's correct, could potentially mean that even the firmware could be reverse-engineered and/or just replaced with ooo i dunno... intel i915 Galleon3D stuff? ok that's maybe wishing for too much

Comment

Working...
            X