A Video To Show Off X.Org's Multi-Touch Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
    While I agree that youtube is pants, Google Chrome is even worse. I cannot believe a linux user is seriously advocating Chrome, containing as it does, a plethora of intrusive malware. But don't take my word for it, just hook up wireshark and see what data is being sent out from your computer without your knowledge or consent ...
    Chromium only has the same 'tracking' features as Firefox (I'm talking about chromium not chrome).

Those features are:
    • Getting autocompletion data from google/what-ever-is-you-search-engine
    • Getting lists of malicious sites from google

Both of which can be disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      What about the TV tuner? The 180* rotation of the screen? The button on the screen? What about the SIM card slot?
      TV Tuner: non existent.
      screen rotation: ?? who cares. No actual reason for it. And in any case, screen rotation is managed by xrandr, which means it is a function of the video drivers. Which means that it is not a separate issue. The button is easily caught and mapped to xrandr.
      Sim card slot: There IS NONE.

Out of what box? Ubuntu?
      Fedora 12. Ubuntu is too useless for me.
      Ubuntu does ship with ndiswrapper drivers.
      So? I'm sure that ubuntu doesn't ship with all of the multitude of windoze drivers pre-installed, and I certainly wouldn't taint my system with a windoze driver.
      But maybe there has been a new FLOSS driver recently?
      Can you not read? I already said ATH9K. That is the driver used by the wireless card on this device. It is sitting right here in front of me working wireless network using ath9k.

So it isn't completely working...
      aside from video acceleration and touch screen (poulsbo drivers work up to xserver 1.6, not in 1.7 -- I'm sure I could just downgrade the xserver to 1.6, but since vesa serves my needs just fine, I won't bother wasting my time with that...), yes, it IS COMPLETELY WORKING 100%.

The only different is the multi-touch screen and the size of the SSD drive.
      Might want to do a little more research on that pal.

Open up the buttom of the netbook. There is a SIM card slot.
      No there isn't. And since you don't have one of these and *I DO*, you are not qualified to say -- but I am.

Even if there was, it is a totally useless thing to have. Like I'm going to pay for an additional data plan for every portable device I own. No, I'm certainly not going to do that. I'm just going to pay for ONE data plan for MY PHONE (which is *always* with me), and plug it into whatever else I happen to be using at the moment. This, of course, uses standard USBNET driver.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        TV Tuner: non existent.
        screen rotation: ?? who cares. No actual reason for it.
        Flipping your netbook everytime you flip the screen is a little annoying...

Sim card slot: There IS NONE.
        Did you unscrew the bottom lid where the RAM is?

Can you not read? I already said ATH9K.
        Yes I did. Rethorical question.

Might want to do a little more research on that pal.
        The research was kind of outdated I guess? (rethorical)

No there isn't. And since you don't have one of these and *I DO*, you are not qualified to say -- but I am.
        The TV tuner is optional, but it's there in the specs on the ASUS website. As far as the SIM card slot goes, it was there in the pre-production model, under the casing (you nees to unscrew that slot where your RAM is. Really sad that they scrapped this, IF they scrapped this. COuld you please lool under that lid?

Even if there was, it is a totally useless thing to have. Like I'm going to pay for an additional data plan for every portable device I own. No, I'm certainly not going to do that. I'm just going to pay for ONE data plan for MY PHONE (which is *always* with me), and plug it into whatever else I happen to be using at the moment. This, of course, uses standard USBNET driver.
        Hms... In my country you can get unlimited 3G internet for about 5 euro's a month... max. I wouldn't mind paying 5 euros/dollars max per month to get wireless internet wherever I go...

Comment

Flipping your netbook everytime you flip the screen is a little annoying...
          Well moot now, since I now have it at 100% (xrandr included) with an unholy mix of Fedora 12, Fedora 11, and some wonderful hacker code to get the touchscreen working.

Did you unscrew the bottom lid where the RAM is?
          Would you like me to post a picture of where the sim slot isn't?

Yes I did. Rethorical question.
          The research was kind of outdated I guess? (rethorical)
          Things move very very fast in this business...

The TV tuner is optional, but it's there in the specs on the ASUS website. As far as the SIM card slot goes, it was there in the pre-production model, under the casing (you nees to unscrew that slot where your RAM is. Really sad that they scrapped this, IF they scrapped this. COuld you please lool under that lid?
          Really... it's not there. There's blanks on the board for where it would go, but nothing on it.

Hms... In my country you can get unlimited 3G internet for about 5 euro's a month... max. I wouldn't mind paying 5 euros/dollars max per month to get wireless internet wherever I go...
          Well you're lucky. Up until a little over a week ago, it was $80/5GB here... now its $35 unlimited thanks to a new provider that insists on shaking things up (Canada).

But still... I wouldn't pay anything at all for it since its just more crap to keep track of. Got everything I need through my phone (android = linux = woohoo!)

Comment

Would you like me to post a picture of where the sim slot isn't?
            Skip tot 5:45min:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thats nice.
              But not applicable.
              It is a T91 in that video.
              We are talking about T91MT.
              They are not the same.

Comment

Thats nice.
                But not applicable.
                It is a T91 in that video.
                We are talking about T91MT.
                They are not the same.
                Well with the MT standing for Multi Touch and looking at the specs, I can't realy find any difference compared to the 'standard' T91. But then again that video was from a pre-production model. It wouldn't be the first time that ASUS has shown Eee PC's that, when released, turned out to miss a lot of features (CeBit 2007 or 2008, touch screens? Yeah, right). But in any case you do not have that lid? (non-rethorical).

I guess I am still waiting for a 8,9 inch Eee PC that does have 3G, a larger resolution and one of those next-gen batteries like with the new Apple MacBooks that can last up to 5 years untill you reach the 80% mark. Those batteries can give you up to ten hours of word processing, surfing and chatting and that 5 years lifetime is with 1 charge a day.

Too bad. I was almost going to buy one, but in the mean time my battery-dead Eee PC 900 will do the job :')

Comment

Well with the MT standing for Multi Touch and looking at the specs, I can't realy find any difference compared to the 'standard' T91. But then again that video was from a pre-production model. It wouldn't be the first time that ASUS has shown Eee PC's that, when released, turned out to miss a lot of features (CeBit 2007 or 2008, touch screens? Yeah, right). But in any case you do not have that lid? (non-rethorical).
                  The lid is there. There is a nice stick of ram under it and some blanks on the mainboard where a sim slot might be attached.

Maybe europe model has it?

I guess I am still waiting for a 8,9 inch Eee PC that does have 3G, a larger resolution and one of those next-gen batteries like with the new Apple MacBooks that can last up to 5 years untill you reach the 80% mark. Those batteries can give you up to ten hours of word processing, surfing and chatting and that 5 years lifetime is with 1 charge a day.

Too bad. I was almost going to buy one, but in the mean time my battery-dead Eee PC 900 will do the job :')
                  Battery life is very good... pretty much goes all day if wireless is off and the screen isn't on full bright... and light use. Still goes for several hours when you crank it.

UPDATE:
                  looks like the multitouch drivers for this device (and some others) are in for kernel 2.6.34.

Here's where the insanity begins though;
                  the X driver requires MPX, which is xserver 1.7+
                  psb/iegd only works up to xserver 1.6

... which basically makes it impossible to use the binary drivers AND have multitouch. Oh well, at least single-touch works on xserver 1.6.... and its not a particularly great multitouch device anyways -- only two points trackable.

Comment

Working...
                  X