Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.5 Gets Pulled Into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Phoronix: X.Org 7.5 Gets Pulled Into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Just in time for the Alpha 1 release of Ubuntu 10.04, X.Org 7.5 with X Server 1.7 has been pulled into the Lucid Lynx package repository. With this push of new X.Org 7.5 packages comes a number of other upstream X package updates along with rebuilds of the other non-updated drivers so that they will work against this latest stable X Server. This X.Org 7.5 pull though should really not come as any surprise since we have already talked extensively about the X stack for Ubuntu 10.04 along with the fact that Ubuntu Lucid is getting Nouveau kernel mode-setting support. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Alpha 1 will be out this Thursday, the 10th of December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does fglrx support that yet, or are they going to provide a special early version for ubuntu again?

Comment

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
      Does fglrx support that yet, or are they going to provide a special early version for ubuntu again?
      No / probably.

I hope that they will adopt at least Mesa 7.7 and updated ddx drivers (xf86-video-ati).

Comment

Bad, bad decision IMO -- and that's coming from a bleeding-edge user (Arch Linux running the 1.7.3 X.Org server, kernel 2.6.32, and NVIDIA beta 195.*).

They should have stuck with at least .31 kernel and X.Org 7.4 for the initial release of the Lynx, and provided upgrades to .32 and 7.5 immediately. That way, users using the LTS as just that -- an LTS -- won't have checked / will have unchecked "give me new features" in the update manager, and will hopefully get burned less.

Ubuntu astounds me with how much leading-edge software they cram in, especially to LTS releases. Bleeding-edge is great for users who can take care of themselves when things go awry (and have the time to), but in situations where LTS is needed? Nope... and an "all user" distro should be more stable, too. Stability is one of our biggest advantages we can lord over Windoze users (:P), and GNU/Linux has a reputation there, let's not spoil it.

Sure, better graphics stack would be nice... but stability is far more important. If the graphics aren't quite fast enough, it's likely enough that the user will search / ask for help, and they can be pointed to the upgrades (even by the OS if done intelligently). If X keeps crashing on them, they'll just blow GNU/Linux off as flaky crap.

I'm especially worried since there are a whole heck of patches Arch is applying to xorg-server 1.7.3. Even though _I've_ had no stability problems, they appear to be lurking out there....

Comment

Originally posted by Ranguvar View Post
          They should have stuck with at least .31 kernel and X.Org 7.4 for the initial release of the Lynx, and provided upgrades to .32 and 7.5 immediately.
          But when 10.04 is ready, kernel 2.6.33 will be ready as well, so 2.6.32 won't be considered as bleeding edge and it will have pass 5 months of test.
          See here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Nzc3MA

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            But when 10.04 is ready, kernel 2.6.33 will be ready as well, so 2.6.32 won't be considered as bleeding edge and it will have pass 5 months of test.
            See here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Nzc3MA
            I know that.
            I still think no higher than .31.

Comment

Working...
            X