Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind Of People Use X.Org's VESA Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry..
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 [1023:8500] (rev 6a)

Comment

Basically there is

xserver-xorg-video-trident

Which should support that card, no idea how good it works. Many old drivers do not support ddc correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        @dlast

I would use memtest and maybe replace ram. Updated bios to get better ram timings might help too.
        Thank you for the advice. It is more than 6 years old notebook into which I am not going to invest more money. Bios is "up-to-date", ie. the last one issued somewhere in 2004 I think... Windows work on that machine quite fine, so I don't see reason, why the memory should be a problem (but ok, I will try to run memtest at least).

Idea of the Linux upgrade was that it seemed to be much more responsive than XP (that either had to slowdown dramatically after being updated with all the servicpacks and updates, or I am more demanding nowadays?). Xubuntu compared to XP looks to be really fast but I think also Kubuntu is still much more responsive on that notebook than the XP are.

I always thought that older hardware tends to work better in Linux but now it seems for me, that as the older hw is owned by less and less people, so it is less and less tested and slowly stops to work...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          You might want to retry with the latest mesa. I noticed a bug was fixed in the last few days that fixed it for me

Assuming your experiencing the same bug I was
          this is my bug probably : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25346

I think I'll wait until an updated mesa is available in F12 repositories ...

Comment

From my personal experience, which includes mostly ATI cards and one nVidia card, the drivers for those are very buggy. Open-source or closed-source. The most stable driver I used was for an old notebook, so it was an i810. Until that worked, you guessed, I used the (tada!) vesa driver.

Bottom line for me is: for wobbly windows and transparency use latest drivers (open/closed source, whichever is the latest to fix bug X), but be prepared to handle hangs/crashes/screen artifacts every 10 mins to one hour. To actually get something done on a stable system, disable desktop effects, and install a stable 2D driver, even vesa if that floats the boat. Oh, let's not forget the upgrades to drivers...

Don't know about you, but I feel more impaired by having black windows on my nvidia (they still appear in twinview), having all windows disappear on my ati (if desktop effects enabled from time to time you get a nice view of the background image, undisturbed by those dreary windows containing last-minute work before a deadline) than getting my work done on an unaccelerated vesa driver, or accelerated driver for an older card.

Note that the above is purely related to my own personal experience and frustration in trying to make software work for bleeding edge hardware. I have also experienced how my radeon 3870x2 got supported both by open source and closed source drivers after one year of using a driver with hacked chip-id. Also, I am very grateful for the efforts the developers are making in supporting free software. The progress is visible, even with this unfortunate delay from the hardware release date to its being fully supported.

Comment

I have an SIS5595/530 chipset and have no choice but to use the VESA driver because SIS refuses to support this chipset under modern linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
                Neither does the VESA driver!
                You're right. What I'm saying is that if I had only 8 Gb of RAM but no video-card I wouldn't be able to run X-Plane (as everything else ). Instead, with this cards I can choose between playing or having 8 Gb of RAM if I need them (3d render etc.).

Comment

is there a chance that a fair percentage of those that responded 'vesa' had actually no idea what driver they were using ?

Comment

Haiku users

I think the majority of Haiku OS users use the Vesa driver.

For most people it seems to get the correct video resolution (not for me and my big LCD though).
                    Haiku's Vesa driver is surprising fast and can do 3D (sort of) and play multiple videos simultaneously without much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: What Kind Of People Use X.Org's VESA Driver?
                      People who live in the real world and not up in the clouds where everything works as described and press releases are true. The proprietary software offered by both AMD and NVIDIA is dire. The freely licensed ATI drivers are still quite immature. The Intel drivers are more mature but still have problems. While most of this software will work for a large percentage of people, none of it will work perfectly.

It isn't surprising that people use the VESA driver. What is surprising is that Phoronix thinks it's surprising.

Comment

Working...
                      X