A Hackfest To Improve Linux Video Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
    Hmm. I dunno 'bout others, but when I think of "linux desktop video experience" I think of a lot of things, like mplayer, totem, whatever, but "webkit" definitely doesn't leap to mind.
    There is a new "video" tag in HTML 5, which WebKit supports (or at least will soon); if you google for "html 5 video tag" you'll see plenty of info...

HTH

Tim

Edit: but yes, I agree, mplayer, totem, etc do spring to mind first...

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      I thought this was one of the things Wayland was supposed to correct but it would be nice to fix it for Xorg which 99.9999999999999999% of Linux users use.
      I don't think there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 Linux users..

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
        I don't think there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 Linux users..
        Well you never know

Improving the overall video experience on Linux is worthwhile, as you'd get more users and developers interested.

Comment

From my understanding, this effort will only apply to software that uses gstreamer for piping video playback. What about the rest of us who use xine, mplayer, or vlc? It's much better to just expose a video out interface like xv, xvmc, or vdpau the way Gallium is moving towards. That will be framework neutral.

Comment

Linux video playback engines used : mplayer, vlc ........ then long silence gstreamer xine etc.

Mplayer is the main player people use vlc is second ... Some GNOME using people may use gstreamer with totem but for example people running kde will most liekely not even have it installed ... so is it really A Hackfest To Improve Linux Video Playback or a A Hackfest To Improve GNOME/Gstreamer Video Playback ??
            Oh and nothing wrong in improving it, just that things should be named correctly.

Comment

Afaik Gstreamer can be used in KDE thanks to Phonon.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Afaik Gstreamer can be used in KDE thanks to Phonon.
                The gstreamer backend blows chunks. Even phonon itself is an open question. Qt software are no longer actively developing it so it seems like it is becoming another orphaned piece of kde tech.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                  The gstreamer backend blows chunks. Even phonon itself is an open question. Qt software are no longer actively developing it so it seems like it is becoming another orphaned piece of kde tech.
                  So, any real alternative to xine, right? :>

Comment

Gstreamer itself blows chunks, so I see no problem if its phonon back-end does too

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                      Even phonon itself is an open question. Qt software are no longer actively developing it so it seems like it is becoming another orphaned piece of kde tech.
                      What? It's actively backed by Nokia as part of Qt, they had a stable release less than a month ago and are planning a new one before the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                      X