S3 Graphics Linux Driver Supports OpenGL 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, test it!

I would like to know about performance, maturity of driver, power saving and whether the annouced features indeed work.

Comment

There might be tests, I don't know... S3 Graphics hasn't offered anything for free though and their "GStore" which seems to be the only place to buy S3 Graphics hardware these days doesn't even have any Chrome 500 hardware in stock.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder what S3 thinks they have to gain by keeping their driver locked up in a blob.

Knowing how bad their windows drivers are, I'd say they're too embarrassed to release it in public

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          There might be tests, I don't know... S3 Graphics hasn't offered anything for free though and their "GStore" which seems to be the only place to buy S3 Graphics hardware these days doesn't even have any Chrome 500 hardware in stock.
          If their drivers are as great as they announce them to be, doing a feature on S3 on phoronix might put them on the map for linux graphics cards. (Free publicity in exchange for a graphics card -- seems like a great deal to me.)

Hell, xrandr + kms + vdpau + ... sure picked my interest, but obviously I'm not going to take it seriously until I see that it works and that it's not all talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
            Knowing how bad their windows drivers are, I'd say they're too embarrassed to release it in public
            Reminds of a slashdot comment:
            Personally, S3's biggest recognition in my life was playing Heavy Gear 2 at a LAN. Some putz was putting mortars on us from way the Hell at the far end of the map with impunity. After allegations of cheating and threats of beating, we all found out his Savage4 didn't support pretty much any way of rendering distance fog. He had an infinite viewline.

After further allegations of cheating and rigging, we found out that not only did he not intentionally arrange a corner case to get this screwup, there were no drivers from S3 that could fix it, and S3 had stopped making drivers for his card.

Seriously though, I wonder how are they planning to support a binary blob NOW, when the whole graphics stack is undergoing a major overhaul. A driver that works with X.org in ubuntu 9.04 will be obsolete next week!

Comment

KMS is part of that overhaul, but yeah it's a hard time to have a blob.

S3 has such a credibility and support gap that they really do need an open driver IMO - and the cards aren't popular enough to see a quick open implementation even if they gave full specs. There are orders of magnitude more r6xx-r8xx cards in both user and developer's hands...

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                Subscribed.
                I wondered about all these people here telling how lame AMD would be not having VDPAU support. First, VDPAU ist still nvidia territory so I can understand that they rather want to have their own implementation of these features. But most ridiculous I find people cheering about S3. I mean, what exactly really happened? A few lines somewhere in a changelog? Okay. But I will not believe a single byte of that unless someone independent proves that this will really work on any generic distribution with any generic unpatched tools. Be it OpenCL, VDPAU or whatever.
                VIA & S3 is a shit when it comes to drivers. They may say they have this and that but that does not mean that it will work on your very box nor anyone else's outside S3/VIA.
                I mean I burst in tears of joy whenever I even see a working MPEG2 acceleration on a VIA GPU.
                These chips may be cheap and consume not much power but sadly that is all.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by 7oby View Post
                  Michael, test it!

I would like to know about performance, maturity of driver, power saving and whether the annouced features indeed work.
                  There is a Youtube video on the S3 Chrome 540 GTX graphics performance against an Nvidia 9600GT card. I still don't see a graphics card available to the public (out of stock?) since Oct 2009-Jan 2010 from their GStore website. The OpenGL 3.1 graphics drivers are available for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X