Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perpetualrabbit
    replied
    What is the cause of the slow linux graphics progress?

I would like to start a discussion about linux graphics progress:

Is the progress really that slow? (It seems to me compared to OS X and windows)
    Would it be possible for someone with a couple of millions to spend to simply step in and hire some programmers to work on key projects, like a free Nvidia driver (or help nouveau out), the Xorg server etc.?
    Or is the problem that those kind of programmers cannot be found (i.e. too hard, or too much knowledge needed to get into Xorg programming), in other words, everyone who is able to work on say Xorg already works on it?

So in short, is it money, is it people, is it both?
    Or is it lack of leadership and focus?

If it is NOT money, then why don't the ones who have it (Mark Shuttleworth, Redhat) start a high priority project to bring linux graphics up to OS X standards, or Windows 7 standards (without the bloat), and quickly (say 1 or 2 years)?

If the people who can do it are there, what is stopping them?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic New X.Org Release Process Has Been Reached

New X.Org Release Process Has Been Reached

Phoronix: New X.Org Release Process Has Been Reached

Last week we talked about a new X.Org release process proposal for improving the consistency and quality of X Server releases through taking a number of relatively simple steps. Well, this week from XDS2009, a revised proposal has been agreed upon now making it policy for X Server 1.8 / X.Org 7.6 and later. With this new process, there will be consistent six-month releases that should be very predictable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X