H.264 VA-API GPU Video Acceleration For Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
    If that's the case, that's very good news.

It doesn't automatically invalidate it, but it certainly doesn't help. It is quite possible that Adobe has licensed its patents in a manner that wouldn't make it a violation to distribute gnash -- for example, I seem to remember them licensing Flash technology for playback purposes only, but creating software to MAKE flash content required a paid license. I tried to do some searching to find out for sure, but don't have time to do the full research right now.

As for patents in general -- it is irresponsible and dangerous for Free Software developers to ignore known patents. Surely one cannot know every possible patent, but there are plenty of well known patents that are actively enforced -- such as Mpeg-2 and H.264. Implimenting those technologies should only be done in a manner that can be easily seperated -- for example by releasing two source packages, one with the encumbered code, and one without (or a patch or diff, or whatever). That way the software can be used in countries without software patents with all the full features, without sabotaging it in countries like the US.

As you implied, there are plenty of patent trolls out there (SCO anyone?). In order for Free Software to gain widespread acceptance, businesses have to have reasonable assurance that simply using it won't leave them open to lawsuits. Sure, they could hire someone to do a patent review and gut out all of the offending code, but it would be far, far easier if developers would simply remember that not everyone can simply disregard patents as meaningless, even if they can.
    The only time you should take patents seriously is when you have to- end users don't, companies and other large organizations do.
    If everyone took them seriously, we'd never have the video software we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      (who watches that high quality content over Flash anyway that this improvement matters a bit?)
      I do, Hulu.com looks nice at 480p no need for cable any more.
      I will admit that Flash did look nicer in Vista than Linux though.

Comment

Did anybody try gnash-vaapi as PLUGIN? For standalone it is useless as you can play flv with mplayer too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Did anybody try gnash-vaapi as PLUGIN? For standalone it is useless as you can play flv with mplayer too.
          Yes, it finally works. At least with this Youtube video.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The &fmt=22 part is important to tell Youtube we want 1280x720 videos. You can try to get to fullscreen and compare with Adobe Flash Player. I could not get Adobe Flash HD video gallery to work with Gnash. But this is a generic Gnash problem, not VAAPI related. If you know other websites proposing Flash HD video, preferably in 1080p, I am all ears. Thank you.

BTW, you will need a small patch in gui/gtk.cpp just after gtk_init(). Please add an XInitThreads() there...

Comment

Do you have got a precompiled plugin for lenny 32 + 64 bit?

Comment

The fix applies to the libgnashcore*.so object IIRC. So, the libgnashplugin.so won't be enough. Anyway, I rebuilt everything with NPAPI plugin on a Hardy32. Updated binaries will arrive in around 5 minutes at: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbe...e/gnash-vaapi/

Comment

Originally posted by billiob View Post
                Does it work on Intel GMA 500?
                The next version will work. I am cleaning the patches. Only the GMA500 (psb) driver will be supported as IEGD has a few bugs I need to check with Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  The next version will work. I am cleaning the patches. Only the GMA500 (psb) driver will be supported as IEGD has a few bugs I need to check with Intel.
                  The next version has landed and is based on upcoming 0.8.7.
                  splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

GMA500 is supported but only with the "psb" driver has IEGD does not implement the necessary functions yet. Everything is now switched to the AGG renderer which is the most correct renderer. AMD/XvBA platforms still require the OGL renderer unless I workaround another AMD driver limitation.

Comment

Great! The missing peace is now support of video acceleration in the free drivers. I'm curious which protocoll they will use (VA APU or VDPAU or...). I'm sure they will take a good decision.

Comment

I've tried recently and could'nt get youtube or any other video site to work with vaapi with a version compiled from trunk. :/

But it's still great to have my netbook able to decode 1080p @ 50 fps videos without a hitch. And deinterlacing works now, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X