DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Actually technically I think their claim is that it doesn't become your property when you buy it. You just obtain right to use it, with limitations. Whether this is actually legal is another issue.
    Without signing a contract, by buying it, you own the thing. "Owning" something in the normal sense means that you have the right to do anything with it except distribute copies of it (this is also true of TVs and clothes). There is no way that a distributor can only give away the right to 'use' a product in a particular way without you signing a contract.

But DRM always enforces extra restrictions, which are not mandated by Copyright Law. So in reality, DRM has nothing to do with the distributor's rights. It has to do with the distributor's power.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      Without signing a contract, by buying it, you own the thing. "Owning" something in the normal sense means that you have the right to do anything with it except distribute copies of it (this is also true of TVs and clothes). There is no way that a distributor can only give away the right to 'use' a product in a particular way without you signing a contract.
      Well, that's how they see it. I didn't say it's in any means according to any laws. (nor did I actually say it's against either; in either case contact your lawyer and sue them if you're unhappy)

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post

But DRM always enforces extra restrictions, which are not mandated by Copyright Law. So in reality, DRM has nothing to do with the distributor's rights. It has to do with the distributor's power.
        Depends largely on where you live.

Comment

I've tried out this new code, on my HD4650. The X starts, openGL working faster than with fglrx. However I've a big problem:
          I have a second card. A Hauppauge PVR350. I have a dual-head configuration (radeon-monitor/hauppauge-TV). Whenever I start mythfrontend the X restart. Has anyone any idea why?

Plus I have random graphical glitches if the compositing is on.

Comment

Pulled into the linux main tree!

Comment

The Intel GPU reset support also went in. That's pretty cool, all the recent stability work Intel's done is really paying off.

Comment

unfortunately even with the latest changes I'm still getting some random lockups with KMS on my 3470 mobility few seconds after starting up X Has anyone else been experiencing something similar? I found that using a non-preemptive kernel and building drm as a module instead of having it builtin helps a bit, but sometimes (say one time every five) it would still hang.. And when the laptop crashes, nothing ever gets written in the system logs, so I have no idea on how to get some debugging info to file a bug report with ! Any ideas on how to catch this kind of wrong behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  At least not HoN, there's still problems with Mesa for this particular game.
                  Updates to HoN have fixed the problems Mesa had with the shaders.

Comment

Working...
                  X