Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

Phoronix: DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

David Airlie has just called for the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. To no surprise, R600/700 3D support can be found within the Direct Rendering Manager code as with kernel mode-setting support for these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards. Also found within the Linux 2.6.32 DRM is the much-worked VGA Arbitration code, the KMS page-flipping ioctl, Radeon TV-Out, and the Intel DRM code now supports dynamic clocking for improved power management. The list of highlights for the Linux 2.6.32 DRM so far can be found on the dri-devel mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the dynamic clocking improvement in the Intel DRM code? What sort of benefit should the average laptop user get from it?

Cheers,

Albert.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

David Airlie has just called for the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. To no surprise, R600/700 3D support can be found within the Direct Rendering Manager code as with kernel mode-setting support for these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards. Also found within the Linux 2.6.32 DRM is the much-worked VGA Arbitration code, the KMS page-flipping ioctl, Radeon TV-Out, and the Intel DRM code now supports dynamic clocking for improved power management. The list of highlights for the Linux 2.6.32 DRM so far can be found on the dri-devel mailing list...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU0Nw

Comment

I'm not sure I read David's mail correctly :
      I see 3D acceleration for R600 in non KMS-mode
      And I see R600 KMS + acceleration.
      I assume the above "acceleration" includes also 3D with KMS.
      Am I right?

Comment

Ok , but how about VIA DRM code ? Will be added into 2.6.32 ?

Hope to see support for chrome9 asap, because sometimes I wanna put my laptop through the window...

Comment

Originally posted by avilella View Post
          What is the dynamic clocking improvement in the Intel DRM code?
          Downclock GPU render clock when GPU is idle:

Similar to intel Speedstep and AMD Cool'n Quiet except that GPU Voltage isn't lowered. Just Freq is reduced and Power = C * Freq * VID^2.

Originally posted by avilella View Post
          What sort of benefit should the average laptop user get from it?
          Longer power on time whilst on battery.

Comment

Isn't DRM = bad ??

Comment

DRM as in Direct Rendering Manager, not DRM as in Digital Restrictions Management,

Comment

Does this 3D support for R600/R700 means that I'll be able to play UT2K4 or Heroes of Newerth with my ATI HD4870 with this open-source driver, getting ride of fglrx ?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU0Nw
                  Hmmm...I hope it doesn't take a few months for the Catalyst Drivers to be compatible with it.

I wonder if Ubuntu is going to enable Radeon KMS by default in the upcoming releases.

Comment

Originally posted by m4rgin4l View Post
                    Hmmm...I hope it doesn't take a few months for the Catalyst Drivers to be compatible with it.
                    Catalyst will NEVER be compatible with it. You are going to have to entirely disable it in order for catalyst to work. That means ensuring that the applicable modules aren't loaded at bootup. No matter anyhow since catalyst is almost obsolete now, just a few more bug fixes for the open source driver and you'll never need catalyst again.

Comment

Working...
                    X