Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos To Peter Hutterer With X.Org 7.5

Phoronix: Kudos To Peter Hutterer With X.Org 7.5

X.Org 7.5 with X Server 1.7 will be arriving months late once it's released after failing to meet the original April release schedule and then failed twice with two more proposed releases during the summer. However, the latest release schedule, which puts the final release in late September or so, might actually work out this time -- in good part thanks to Peter Hutterer.Peter Hutterer is the university student from Australia that developed Multi-Pointer X (to be found in X Server 1.7) and is responsible for a great deal of other work with X.Org when it comes to input and who now works for Red Hat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well, it's fucking unbelievable. when will there be a post on linus' contribution? also, any word on my hours of troubleshooting help? come on, what's it with phoronix posting these kinda news items... :-/

Comment

Phoronix praises a proposed X.org release schedule?

FLEE!!! IT's the end of the world as we know it! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tulcod View Post
        well, it's fucking unbelievable. when will there be a post on linus' contribution? also, any word on my hours of troubleshooting help? come on, what's it with phoronix posting these kinda news items... :-/
        Yes, we should never acknowledge anyone's contributions, especially when there is technical merit.

Maybe you need to find a new community.

Comment

Thanks man

Comment

I've dealt with Peter once when trying to fix a touch screen driver. he's awesome, expect more big things from this guy

Comment

I haven't met the guy, though hopefully he comes to an LCA sometime and I remember who he is.

There is a lot of people that deserve Kudos IMO. People from the Wine project, Linux kernel, game developers, sponsors of open source projects.
              If only there was a system in place which allowed the easy purchase and delivery of beer to any developer/volunteer world wide!

Comment

-1 kudo for Phoronix

This guy is just as important as any X.org contributor, and you know it.

Comment

What's wrong with you guys?

All I can say is woo-hoo! Kudos to Peter.

Peter is stepping up and taking care of things, this really needed to be done. He is personally making sure things are moving forward (with the help of others, but he is the catalyst).

Yes, others deserve kudos for continuing to excellently contribute to open source. But when someone changes the direction of a project for the better they deserve special recognition.

Comment

thanks!

I've acquired the impression that part of the difficulty in shipping an Xorg release is the 'fog-of-war' like haze that obscures the direction and pace things are supposed to be going.

Nowhere in the article did it say that Peter is the only contributor, or the only important contributor, but by stepping up his role and taking on more responsibility he validates the project and the development model.

I applaud _all_ those things. Particularly since Xorg's gets love to needs love ratio has been out of wack for (at least) the past 3 years.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X