Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X.Org 7.5 Release Day, But With No Release

Phoronix: The X.Org 7.5 Release Day, But With No Release

The latest X.Org 7.5 release plans placed the 17th of August as the release date for this next major X.Org update along with the release of X Server 1.7. However, to no surprise, this is not going to happen today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If it's not going to make it into Ubuntu 9.10 and the other members of the fall wave, they've got another six months before a release even matters. I say cut 'em some slack.

Comment

I've only been loosely following this issue, but was there even any significant communication (such as an announcement on a mailing list with a revised timeline) as to why this delay took place? If not, isn't that the real issue at hand here? Considering how crucial this software is to the end-user GUI experience, and the amount of turmoil and instability that's been recently plaguing graphics in general, I would expect them to be more on top of things than ever. And sure, they get six more months, but those would have been much better spent fixing bugs, working on other features, making more architectural changes, etc.

I may be way off base here (sorry if I am), but I don't recall reading that much about why things are so held up. Even the tone of the Phoronix coverage has consistently suggested that the whole situation is somewhat ambiguous and there are no clear plans for how things will proceed.

Comment

"With X Server 1.7 running behind schedule it's already been rejected from Ubuntu 9.10 and from OpenSuSE 11.2. It will likely be dropped from other distributions refreshing this fall too."

Another reason I'm happy to prefer Gentoo and Arch, heh. They don't have those (IMO stupid) issues.

Comment

I really hope the Xorg team decide to move away from a time based release schedule and switch to a feature based one

It would stop these boring and demoralising stories on Phoronix

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            "With X Server 1.7 running behind schedule it's already been rejected from Ubuntu 9.10 and from OpenSuSE 11.2. It will likely be dropped from other distributions refreshing this fall too."

Another reason I'm happy to prefer Gentoo and Arch, heh. They don't have those (IMO stupid) issues.
            When it does debut, you will be able to find it for suse in the build service, just like every other major package.

Comment

I really like it that Phoronix posts so much articles about X and everything related to graphics. I like to stay up to date and that's why I keep reading Phoronix.

However it's written with a tone that reads along the lines of "I payed for it. I want customer support, NOW! Let me speak to your manager!"

Don't get me wrong; I like to keep getting this kind of news, but maybe next time you could also write it more informative like "Sadly X Server 1.7 doesn't make it in time for major distributions" and that's it. I like to be informed but I don't like to see the X devs getting such disrespect from a website that doesn't contribute anything to the project itself :/

Comment

Heh, starts seeming like the only Fall distro likely to ship with X server 1.7 is Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Heh, starts seeming like the only Fall distro likely to ship with X server 1.7 is Fedora.
                  I wouldn't count on it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    I wouldn't count on it yet.
                    Well, Fedora's already having a pre-release in Rawhide. It will extremely likely ship with another pre-release that's just closer to 1.7 and eventually move to 1.7 when it comes out. No big deal for Fedora users...
                    Edit: If you meant other distros might ship 1.7 too, then I misunderstood.
                    Last edited by nanonyme; 18 August 2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X