The X.Org 7.5 Release Day, But With No Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I really like it that Phoronix posts so much articles about X and everything related to graphics. I like to stay up to date and that's why I keep reading Phoronix.

However it's written with a tone that reads along the lines of "I payed for it. I want customer support, NOW! Let me speak to your manager!"

Don't get me wrong; I like to keep getting this kind of news, but maybe next time you could also write it more informative like "Sadly X Server 1.7 doesn't make it in time for major distributions" and that's it. I like to be informed but I don't like to see the X devs getting such disrespect from a website that doesn't contribute anything to the project itself :/
    I suggest you check out http://www.radeonhd.org. Phoronix also covers the X devs when the news is good as well. Like the old saying goes "Can't stand the heat? Then get out of the kitchen."

Comment

Sad

It is really sad that none of the major distributions are stepping up and helping get xorg back on track. Right now, it seems to me that the driver developers just do their thing and never touch xorg-server either. This is fine as it may not be their forte.

I would really love to see a major distribution or even a hardware vendor step up and pay someone to work on getting xorg moving. I don't think there are any developers right now that work fulltime on xorg-server/core.

Comment

Originally posted by murraytony View Post
        It is really sad that none of the major distributions are stepping up and helping get xorg back on track.
        Depends on your point of view. I consider RHEL to be a major distribution and they're actively investing in X.org development. Let alone their test release Fedora seems to be getting updates from new X.org versions just fine. Perhaps the real issue is that most binary distros are trying to be both conservative and bleeding-edge at the same time and then they're puzzled when it doesn't work?
        Originally posted by murraytony View Post
        I would really love to see a major distribution or even a hardware vendor step up and pay someone to work on getting xorg moving.
        RHEL is already doing this. Maybe you're just expecting too much? You could probably volunteer as a developer if it's proceeding too slowly in your opinion.
        Edit: There's probably some other distros doing the same which I'm not familiar with. Software development takes its time, you can't rush it.
        Last edited by nanonyme; 19 August 2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I suggest you check out http://www.radeonhd.org
          Whoa! Is that site still alive? I thought it turned into Phoronix :-o
          Awesome, thnx for telling me

EDIT: Ah, just IRC logs
          Last edited by V!NCENT; 26 August 2009, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Depends on your point of view. I consider RHEL to be a major distribution and they're actively investing in X.org development. Let alone their test release Fedora seems to be getting updates from new X.org versions just fine. Perhaps the real issue is that most binary distros are trying to be both conservative and bleeding-edge at the same time and then they're puzzled when it doesn't work?
            RHEL is already doing this.
            I'm not talking about including xorg in Distributions or fixing bugs in Xorg. I'm talking about leadership. Xorg doesn't seem to have any (admittedly from an outsiders view) and seems to be moving down the road but no one is at the wheel.

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Maybe you're just expecting too much? You could probably volunteer as a developer if it's proceeding too slowly in your opinion.
            This is such a cop-out answer. Yes, people should strive to contribute to projects as much as they can and want to. But a person's skills don't always allow them to contribute at the highest level. There are only a few people that have the skills to do this, companies that rely on Xorg should seek out these people and make it easier for them to do what they love to do. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
            X