No announcement yet.

A Late X Server 1.7 Means No Update For Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the Xserver so what. The forthcoming of the drivers are more importend at least for me. But i wished google ibm and co would pay more developers for X at all. Its the one point that slow down linux progess on the desktop (at most). Although there was much progress in the last 2 years on this sector but it could be still faster.

At the gentoo guys, i am thinking on switching to Arch linux, because they do things often more simple. I looked for the compiz-enabled r600/700 packaging-files for both distributions, on archlinux side you just klick on AUR for community-packages, search the package and you find it. can download it (maybe even with the packman directly) and install it.

On gentoo side, i first checked on the bugs side, found nothing, then i searched in the forums, found some "postings" where i can copy and paste it in my local portage tree (what i first had to setup), then i need generate the checksums, and then i maybe can compile it.

Compile kernels are also no task what i will do for livetime, its nice to have the possibility but i dont need that always.

But thats not all, i am mainly think about switching because gentoo is to conservative they stick to long to stuff, as example syncronising portage over git is 2x - 3x so fast then it takes with rsync, such stuff changes only very slowly. And i run gentoo complete in unstable mode.

I know Archlinux is also no distribution for people who dont want do stuff by hand, but i think the time to admin it will be shorter, maybe i am wrong, i will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by makomk View Post
      You'd be surprised; I used it for about a year when I had a 7300 GS, complete with regular updates from svn, and while I ran into the odd stability issue it was still way better than the Nvidia blob and got more prompt bug-fixes. (OpenGL apps didn't generally work, of course, but it had little things like 2D acceleration and Xv support that the nv driver was missing.)
      From what is observed here, (even with the same card as yours), the nouveau driver is still prone to many glitches, with the blob however I have not seen a issue at all (in regards to the 7300 GS). I can usually count on at least 4-5 crashes during the week using the nouveau driver but I admit that maybe more to do with the current state of X and not necessarily the driver itself. The blob bypasses a lot of X and therefor is probably a contributing factor why I find it far more stable then the nouveau driver. Like anything else YMMV.

Comment

the xserver will be released when it is done stop whining

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
          a great shame, but there is no way around the inability to ship something that doesn't exist.
          That's why backporting exists?

Comment

I just hope Koala will not be the regression mess that Jaunty was. Ubuntu should slow down their releases to make sure they are more stable. Luckily, PPAs will allow us to fix the screwups they let through.

Comment

This means that Catalyst won't be supporting xorg 7.5 anytime soon after it's released. Hopefully by xmas...

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
                This means that Catalyst won't be supporting xorg 7.5 anytime soon after it's released. Hopefully by xmas...
                Well, they could start the porting effort even before the release if they wanted to and had the time since the rest of the X.org stack is opensource and they can try it if they want to...

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  That's why backporting exists?
                  certainly, but i'd rather not if it's going to mess up my online updates from opensuse.

and if i am going to do it then updating had better be possible via a pre-rolled packman .rpm or a one-click-install link.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
                    certainly, but i'd rather not if it's going to mess up my online updates from opensuse.

and if i am going to do it then updating had better be possible via a pre-rolled packman .rpm or a one-click-install link.
                    Just add the X11 repo to your repositories from the OBS and then zypper up

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                      and that's why ubuntu is the most popular distro right now ? Wait something is not right.
                      Since when has popularity been a reliable metric for quality? Need I remind you which operating system BSODed its way into being the most popular OS ever? Popularity is the same brain-dead argument used by clueless Windows users. "Ugg lookie at da market share. They must be doing somethn' right."

Comment

Working...
                      X