X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don'tget why they make plans at all.

Comment

Typo:

"Ubuntu 9.04 was paired with Ubuntu 1.6.0 while Ubuntu 9.10 will likely be met by the just-released X Server 1.6.3."

One of those Ubuntus doesn't belong.

As for the news, this is rather disappointing, but not surprising. We all knew this might, and likely would, happen. After all, they chose not to ship 2.9.30 with Jaunty (which I'm not sore about, just saying they have a history). Even if this does make it out in time, it's likely to be very green.

Perhaps they'll make the final release tomorrow morning, and today's decision can be forgotten like that unfortunate attempt at experimentation at summer camp.

Comment

That's the nice side on Gentoo. You update whenever a software is available. No release cycles.
        But then, does Ubuntu always have to inherit the bleeding edge stuff? I mean... wasn't it Debian based and Debian was all about stability? New features may be nice but the often come in the 1st release with a trail of bugs behind them.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          That's the nice side on Gentoo. You update whenever a software is available. No release cycles.
          But then, does Ubuntu always have to inherit the bleeding edge stuff? I mean... wasn't it Debian based and Debian was all about stability? New features may be nice but the often come in the 1st release with a trail of bugs behind them.
          Think of Ubuntu as an experiment for time-based debian releases - one which failed miserably.

Free Software does not run to corporate timetables, and all of Phoronix's front-page whining will not change that. Patches welcome, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
            Think of Ubuntu as an experiment for time-based debian releases - one which failed miserably.
            and that's why ubuntu is the most popular distro right now ? Wait something is not right.

Anyway it seems new ATI stack and kms are still going to be included most likely. I guess that's something that majority of people are waiting for not the new xserver version, unless it's needed for that.

Comment

And if Linux distros had adopted a good installation system, this wouldn't matter at all. But everyone decided they were happy with fail, or compiling, when most desktop users want either of those two things.

Too bad X isn't packaged up for http://0install.net/

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                LMAO, nouveau is about as "stable" Charles Manson.
                You'd be surprised; I used it for about a year when I had a 7300 GS, complete with regular updates from svn, and while I ran into the odd stability issue it was still way better than the Nvidia blob and got more prompt bug-fixes. (OpenGL apps didn't generally work, of course, but it had little things like 2D acceleration and Xv support that the nv driver was missing.)

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                  and that's why ubuntu is the most popular distro right now ? Wait something is not right.
                  As an experiment in how much brokenness people will endure when they're presented with a shiny UI, Ubuntu is second only to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    High five!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Actually openSUSE has already decided because of the delays, X Server 1.7 and X.Org 7.5 will most definitely not be in 11.2. The 2.6.31 kernel will be in it but not the often delayed X projects.

https://features.opensuse.org/306903
                      a great shame, but there is no way around the inability to ship something that doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                      X