Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly Two Dozen X.Org Drivers Get Updated

Phoronix: Nearly Two Dozen X.Org Drivers Get Updated

In time for the X.Org 7.5 release (whenever that may come), David Airlie has put out new driver releases for nineteen of the X.Org video drivers. These aren't updates to the mainline ATI/AMD, Intel, or even NVIDIA drivers, but some of the drivers for less common graphics hardware. The X.Org drivers that were updated include those for APM, AST, Cirrus, Fbdev, Glint, i128, i740, Mach64, MGA, NeoMagic, r128, s3virge, S3, Savage, SiS USB, SiS, TdFx, VESA, and Voodoo hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the SiS drivers are a bit better now, so I don't have to manually install the driver to get a normal resolution .

Comment

I think it is a result of VGA arbitration removal, http://airlied.livejournal.com/67628.html

Comment

Most important change I see here is finally getting this bug squashed in evdev.

Maybe I'll actually be able to use evdev in SDL apps again (this bug annoyed the hell out of me when trying to play older linux games such as SoF).

Comment

It's nice to see even rare and old HW still being supported. Once there is a driver it stays around for a while. Now I still have to hope that the various ATI R600/700 stuff takes off and goes flying and that that VIA stuff would please finally work even on the age old CLE266.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Thanks for also looking at old hardware!

Comment

This man deserves some pie!

Comment

I hope the ATI Mach 64 driver and kernel DRM are fixed and re-merged. I have an ancient laptop with a Mach 64 video chip that no longer works with recent distributions (X will hardlock the system after a while).

Comment

I second that on the mach64 drm... that would make at least 2 happy campers if it were fixed :-)

not that I don't know how to compile the newer drm, its just an annoyance to have to do so.

Comment

Does it have NSC Geode driver update? Last time I checked my Geode Thinclient would not load it's graphics driver under LTSP Ubuntu 9.04. The VESA driver makes the thin client unusable (300MHz Geode CPU...) but it is very usable under Windows XP

Comment

Working...
                    X