No announcement yet.

X.Org 7.5 / X Server 1.7: No Branching, No Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I propose a different way to look at this ? From where I sit, Xorg itself has become pretty stable and "just works" most of the time.

If you ask most people what the big problems are with Linux graphics and UI today, most of the answers will relate to things that are not part of Xorg, although some of the major projects going on (like Kernel Modesetting) do require some corresponding changes in the Xorg tree.

We still need new Xorg releases, and things are still improving, but honestly I don't see Xorg itself being the bottleneck in the adoption of Linux on the desktop.
    Last edited by bridgman; 22 July 2009, 10:47 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Can I propose a different way to look at this ? From where I sit, Xorg itself has become pretty stable and "just works" most of the time.

If you ask most people what the big problems are with Linux graphics and UI today, most of the answers will relate to things that are not part of Xorg, although some of the major projects going on (like Kernel Modesetting) do require some corresponding changes in the Xorg tree.

We still need new Xorg releases, and things are still improving, but honestly I don't see Xorg itself being the bottleneck in the adoption of Linux on the desktop.
      It works, yeah. But if you know your Windows, you will notice how sluggish it is at times. Like when when you open a settings menu or the about box of a problem and you see the window render things. Or when you maximize a window and first the window is rendererd and then the title bar afterwards. And Composite often is not on par with its performance, especially with stuff like scrolling web pages etc.. You should never have to notice anything of the above, really.

Now I do not what's causing these problems, but from what I experience, things improve dramatically with every half-year releases of Xorg and drivers and are probably no problem anymore in the future.

Comment

I believe most of those issues fall either partly or completely outside Xorg itself. I think everyone agrees that "the graphics stack" needs significant additional work, but Xorg is only one part of that stack (albeit an important one) and that part does not seem to be the "source of the problem" these days.

A number of people have suggested Xorg be redefined (both the software product and the guiding organization) to include all of the core graphics stack but that would bring a whole new set of management problems along with it.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

if it mostly works then it should be mostly easy to maintain a reliable and well communicated development process.

Comment

Most (all?) of the problems mentioned here are in the process of being solved and/or about system-wide interactions beyond X.org. For example, mapping of windows is the domain of the window manager. Of course, the X server plays a big part in it, and *of course* it must be improved. Just point your blame in the right direction, please

Comment

Working...
            X