PowerVR Binary Blob Added To Linux-Firmware.Git For New Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerVR Binary Blob Added To Linux-Firmware.Git For New Graphics Driver

Phoronix: PowerVR Binary Blob Added To Linux-Firmware.Git For New Graphics Driver

With the Imagination PowerVR open-source kernel graphics driver expected for Linux 6.8, the necessary firmware binary blob has now been accepted into linux-firmware.git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its unexpected small. My first thought after hearing about it the want to go more FOSS that its like the first RPI or Nvidia "FOSS" drivers. huge Blobs that runs on the internals of the chip and just a foss layer to talk to the firmware.

Comment

Michael

FYI

RedHat will remove Xorg (sans XWayland obviously) from RHEL 10: https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/rhel-...nd-xorg-server

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Its unexpected small. My first thought after hearing about it the want to go more FOSS that its like the first RPI or Nvidia "FOSS" drivers. huge Blobs that runs on the internals of the chip and just a foss layer to talk to the firmware.
        Yes it is tiny compared to nvidia's controversial 62 MB Blob.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The small size of Imagination Technologies PowerVR Binary doesn't surprise me actually, given their products are focused on embedded, mobile and SoC systems etc. where many machines especially older ones got limited RAM ressources. But also for dGPUs it is advantageous to have a less complex firmware and more possibilites to debug issues in the open source drivers. The latter is beneficial to make products more sustainable and make them more attractive to license takers, who want customization.

Comment

If Imagination Technologies followed the AMD approach and develop very high end dGPUs for PCs and HPC, there should be interesting competition.

Dreamcast used PowerVR, there were a series of Kyro cards for PC with nice performance too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            If Imagination Technologies followed the AMD approach and develop very high end dGPUs for PCs and HPC, there should be interesting competition.

Dreamcast used PowerVR, there were a series of Kyro cards for PC with nice performance too.
            I think they don't have the cash for it. Their business plummeted when Apple ditched them years ago, and managed to snatch a good chunk of their talent. Their move into Linux now is in search for a niche on secondary markets, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I think they don't have the cash for it. Their business plummeted when Apple ditched them years ago, and managed to snatch a good chunk of their talent. Their move into Linux now is in search for a niche on secondary markets, I guess.
              I'm sure they can get massive non-USA investors to make it happen if they pursuit i.

Anyway, they seem iincompetentsthat are desperate to get some market by their hardware having open source drivers.

Comment

Working...
              X