Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asahi Linux To Users: Please Stop Using X.Org

Phoronix: Asahi Linux To Users: Please Stop Using X.Org

Asahi Linux lead developer Hector Martin issued a lengthy post encouraging users of this Apple Silicon focused Linux distribution to stop using X.Org as Wayland is the future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh no no no ....don't tell not using Xorg. This is going mayhem now.

Comment

some Xorg things might work better on other platforms
      Yes, not every random app and feature you use on Xorg will have a Wayland equivalent. Deal with it.
      The only reason we shipped Xorg by default is that Wayland compositors were slower with software rendering.
      Overall and in particular "Wayland is ass" but "please use it". They could have just said that "Asahi works best with Wayland, thank you very much" and not try to weasel their way out of the things that continue to work a ton better in "outdated" "deprecated" "unmaintained" and "abandoned" Xorg. One day the Wayland ecosystem [outside of Gnome] will be ready but it's not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Overall and in particular "Wayland is ass" but "please use it". They could have just said that "Asahi works best with Wayland, thank you very much" and not try to weasel their way out of the things that continue to work a ton better in "outdated" "deprecated" "unmaintained" and "abandoned" Xorg. One day the Wayland ecosystem [outside of Gnome] will be ready but it's not there yet.
        Even if just for a second have you ever considered that those professionals at asahi Linux might be right?

Comment

Yeah, "Wayland isn't ready", but then in case of Asahi, X.org won't ever be ready. It won't even try

Comment

I am feeling to be on my own on pure wayland. Too many things are broken. Many programs do not even start. There is no unified ways of doing things under wayland. Even as simple as getting current keyboard layout is complicated as fuck on it.
            ​I use dwm and all WMs under wayland suck because there is no suckless WM for wayland.

Funny developers whos distro is broken and nott even in beta stage talk about how broken X.org is
            Last edited by t1r0nama; 13 May 2023, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Happily using sway already for years.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                Yeah, "Wayland isn't ready", but then in case of Asahi, X.org won't ever be ready. It won't even try
                I think it's worth keeping in mind that the Asahi project is in no way preventing anyone else who is interested in Xorg for the Apple Silicon platform, and who has the resources for this, to work on it.
                The Asahi project doesn't have some exclusive right to work on Linux for the Apple Silicon platform, and from what they have said their goal is to upstream all the things so that Asahi should not need to have a distro presence in the longer term.

Overall, I do agree with the Asahi priorities. They need to pick their battles, and picking Wayland over Xorg seems like a sensible choice for a forward-looking project on a new platform.

Comment

I like the general idea of Wayland, and so keep trying KDE under it every month-or-two in the hope of switching, but it still won't do fundamental things like render window decorations/widgets reliably for me. Though I am running on a Radeon 260 GPU which is a bit on the old side and I wouldn't be surprised when I one day upgrade to more contemporary hardware, my experience might suddenly be better. And on Asahi, of course, their target GPU is another story again, so for their platform Wayland might be rainbows and lollipops (or at least basically functional) already.

Comment

One day the Wayland ecosystem [outside of Gnome] will be ready but it's not there yet.
                    fun fact: such "arguments" are never coupled with precise definition of "ready", and after diving into discussion, it always turns out that the software in question is either proprietary or abandoned with better alternatives.

I've been using sway since 1.0 alpha, and everything I want works with wayland, as of today.

Comment

Working...
                    X