Linux 6.5 Raspberry Pi "VC4" Graphics Driver Picking Up New HDMI Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 Raspberry Pi "VC4" Graphics Driver Picking Up New HDMI Features

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 Raspberry Pi "VC4" Graphics Driver Picking Up New HDMI Features

An initial batch of DRM-Misc-Next patches targeting the Linux 6.5 kernel later this summer were sent today to DRM-Next for queuing ahead of that next merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A little late if you ask me...

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      yeah indeed..
      However riscv is still a longer road, with visionfive2 having less cpu power than rpi4, and tons of more power for Imagination gpu..but where are the drivers?
      Yeah they are still being produced..

Comment

Would you rather the patches are carried downstream forever? Sure, it would be nice if the RPi devs were a bit faster about upstreaming patches, in a perfect world we'd have full upstream support before the hardware even launches. But it's better that the patches get upstreamed eventually than rot in a downstream branch forever.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Would you rather the patches are carried downstream forever? Sure, it would be nice if the RPi devs were a bit faster about upstreaming patches, in a perfect world we'd have full upstream support before the hardware even launches. But it's better that the patches get upstreamed eventually than rot in a downstream branch forever.
          Of course I'd like the patches to get upstreamed.
          But for being the most popular SBC I think it's unacceptable that it takes this long.
          The RPi should've been fully supported and feature complete by upstream linux a couple of years ago.
          I mean they sold millions of these devices.
          Now for 6.5 we'll get a few HDMI bits... then for 6.6 a few other things and so on.. its taking freaking years.

Comment

Of course I'd like the patches to get upstreamed.
            But for being the most popular SBC I think it's unacceptable that it takes this long.
            The RPi should've been fully supported and feature complete by upstream linux a couple of years ago.
            I mean they sold millions of these devices.
            Now for 6.5 we'll get a few HDMI bits... then for 6.6 a few other things and so on.. its taking freaking years.
            FWIW the Pi 3B+ and below have been functional for standard use on the mainline kernel for years now, though bringup of the Pi 4 took a good while due to the new VideoCore architecture.

Comment

Working...
            X