X.Org Needs More People To Run For The Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    wait there is a different tracker? I reported this to KDE's abysmal bugs.kde.org. ill look into reporting it there thanks. it was a while ago I reported it. and I lost accsess to that account, but the name was something along the lines of "xdp-screen-cast.py frozen video"
    I forgot about that nightmare.

https://invent.kde.org is the gitlab of kde the new system. bugs.kde.org is the old bugzilla that is the old system. Yes not everything has moved over to invent.

This is a mega KDE bug there is no issue sync between the gitlab and the bugzilla and it being a part done migration. Lot of parts only exist in the gitlab bit. It would be useful if the part was still listed in the bugzilla and it was like sorry you cannot report that here please go to the gitlab.

I could not find it as a open bug in the bugzilla any more either. So the issue possible asked for extra information it did not come and it was closed.

Its kind of important when person mentions a issue and you have been where it should be and it not there to say something. It happens far too often bugs being reported where they never will be fixed because no developer person is ever going to read them.

Comment

wait there is a different tracker? I reported this to KDE's abysmal bugs.kde.org. ill look into reporting it there thanks. it was a while ago I reported it. and I lost accsess to that account, but the name was something along the lines of "xdp-screen-cast.py frozen video"

https://invent.kde.org is the gitlab of kde. bugs.kde.org is the old bugzilla.

This is a mega KDE bug there is no issue sync between the gitlab and the bugzilla.

Also I could not find anything like it on the bugzilla under open bugs either. So the bug has disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Maybe your dog really knows more about this stuff than you.
        He certainly knows enough to not settle for crapware like the Wayland ecosystem

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

X12 has a formal design document so no you cannot do what you just did. X12 document contains a list of faults of X11 that need to be fixed.
        I think part of the cause of the terrible design of Wayland is because the community believes that a half-complete wiki page is a "formal design document" haha.

No. This is not one of those.

Something like this would be closer. Look Wayland even has a (partial) one here.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 23 March 2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          I think part of the cause of the terrible design of Wayland is because the community believes that a half-complete wiki page is a "formal design document" haha.
          No "formal design document" does not need to be complete. Formal design document at a bare min has to lay out the requirements. That wiki page does the bare min of a formal design document.

There are levels of competition to formal design documents. Not complete formal design document does not make it magically not a formal design document.

That wiki page was voted and approved in a X.org board meeting. Yes it has the formal rubber stamp of meeting approval.

At this point you should be able to see why I am like X.org board can kind of disappear. The work is not what you call quality any more like the old X11 standard documents.
          Last edited by oiaohm; 23 March 2023, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

https://invent.kde.org is the gitlab of kde. bugs.kde.org is the old bugzilla.

This is a mega KDE bug there is no issue sync between the gitlab and the bugzilla.

Also I could not find anything like it on the bugzilla under open bugs either. So the bug has disappeared.
            ill report it to the gitlab, thanks for informing, maybe it can get some visibility there

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              He certainly knows enough to not settle for crapware like the Wayland ecosystem
              But he settles for abandonware and does nothing to improve the situation... says everything.

Comment

Why is this such a hostile topic? Wayland transition is still on the going, not many DE or WM have wayland support. Is not a matter of choice, just patience. Chill.

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
                  Why is this such a hostile topic? Wayland transition is still on the going, not many DE or WM have wayland support. Is not a matter of choice, just patience. Chill.
                  because wayland has fundamental design decisions that people disagree with. and we are already seeing support for X11 decreasing. (there was a project, that was pretty much the inverse of xwayland, not sure what has happened to it since). for some people, wayland is the next best thing for sliced bread, and for other when X does die, it will make their linux desktops un-upgradeable or worse unusable for their needs.

Comment

because wayland has fundamental design decisions that people disagree with. and we are already seeing support for X11 decreasing. (there was a project, that was pretty much the inverse of xwayland, not sure what has happened to it since). for some people, wayland is the next best thing for sliced bread, and for other when X does die, it will make their linux desktops un-upgradeable or worse unusable for their needs.
                    Please just don't say this fundamental design decisions that people disagree with is having server side decoration as an optional protocol extension because I'm gonna cry.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post

Please just don't say this fundamental design decisions that people disagree with is having server side decoration as an optional protocol extension because I'm gonna cry.
                      no fundemental design decisions like no network transparency, that people use to display windows from VMs and Containers on the host (though there is workarounds for this, its not great) and then lesser design decisions that cause fragmentation on critical accessibility components like OSKs, and attention management tools making people pick and choose what DE they need due to what accessibility tool they need the most. these are the design decisions that make wayland fundamentally impossible to use depending on a person and their disability since they can no longer pick and choose what tools they use.

Server side vs client side decor is just one part of a greater fundemental problem with wayland, there is simply much less freedom with it by choice of the team who oversees it. the trade off is of course better security, wayland has a LOT going for it, much better heterogeneous display support, gpu hotplug etc. however the design and management decisions wayland maintainers are taking prevents it from being a true X11 replacement.

at best, I forsee a wayland compatibility layer, much like xwayland but in reverse. I think at this point this is the most we can hope for.

Comment

Working...
                      X