Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarvatt
    replied
    To answer the other question, KMS is in karmic now but only for intel. Nouveau wont make it, 2.6.32 kernel at the earliest I hear, doesn't support all chips (might be wrong on that point), and nvidia binary drivers are incompatable with KMS. ATI depends on if it gets merged in 2.6.31 which it most likely will. That leaves *alot* of cards that wont have KMS support by the time karmic is released, don't forget about everything that isnt from those 3 companies

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    they will not get their 10 second goal
    that's ridiculous

Leave a comment:

• KDesk
    replied
    rugby471: Plymouth depends on KMS, but KMS is needed for many other things, like working suspend/resume, BSOD (or any other color hehe) for kernel panics, fast VT switching, to run the Xserver without root privileges.

Leave a comment:

• rugby471
    replied
    KMS

Can anyone clarify this:

Ubuntu is not shipping Plymouth AT ALL

and

Will 9.10 have KMS in it?

To be honest I don't really mind if there is no pretty splash, however the boot better be REALLY fast!

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    I hardly get the rationale here. Even if boottime (grub > desktop) is reduced to mere 10 seconds, you can use Plymouth in those 10 seconds. This is not about whether it's worth to include it or not, it's what are you going to do with those 10 seconds, since you have to wait them anyway.

Now, 10 seconds are not enough to go get yourself a coffee. In fact, 10 seconds hardly justify doing anything else than sitting in front of the screen and _waiting_ for those 10 seconds to pass. So while we're at it, why not make a pleasurable, ever-changing experience? With alternating plugins, themes, or even the same theme with the same plugin being various enough to not be repetitive, it could be really nice.

Well, my pair of cents.

Leave a comment:

• Sarvatt
    replied
    The next LTS release will probably end up being 10.10 mopey mammoth to sync it up with debian's release around the same time anyhow, and also for a more stable gnome

Leave a comment:

• chaos386
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    So the next "stable" "LTS" release will introduce KMS, Plymouth, GNOME 3.0 etc. ... I wonder how that turns out (especially GNOME 3.0)
    From the sound of things, they're not pushing Plymouth off to 10.04, they're just declining it altogether since they figure it's not worth including if the boot time is less than 10 seconds anyway. Oh, and us Intel users should already have KMS by 9.10.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Oh, and if they're shooting for absolute lowest boot time, why bother with usplash at all? I see a lot of complaints/bugs stemming from it. Text boot FTW!
    Considering that text boot takes roughly the same amount of time (seriously) as the usplash or any of the other modes seem to (The time doesn't come from doing pretty things to the screen or just raw text- it comes from the operations being done to generate either, which have traditionally been done serially throughout the boot up, when there's quite a few things that could have been done in parallel...) your remark isn't actually helpful...

Leave a comment:

• phyrko
    replied
    This seems like an excellent decision. I'd far rather a boot time ~10s than a fancy graphical boot.

Leave a comment:

• unimatrix
    replied
    This is a good decision. Plymouth probably won't be ready for years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X