Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    or the protocol that’s been in development for 14 years a
    X11 was in development for nearly 40 years and only stopped developing because everyone asked to touch this codebase runs away screaming.
    Protocols never stop developing, they are constantly adapting on the needs of the time via protocol extensions and this won't stop any time soon.

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    and still doesn’t work
    If Wayland "does not work", then what is Xorg? A possible way to torture people or what?

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
      Didn’t wayland have a similar vulnerability last year?

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE...#range-8384822
      Not really similar. The one in Wayland is really hard to reproduce. You need a lot of time and resources (hundreds GB of RAM). Even then you'd probably also need some handcrafted Wayland because otherwise you'd most likely hit limits in other places. And even even then – I don't think it leads to privilege escalation, but I'm not 100% sure here.
      I agree X.org should be replaced but not until it reaches feature parity with X.org. Last I recall color management was just introduced about 3-4 months ago with Weston 11.0 and still has a long way before it becomes stable for production use for content creators or researchers.
      Nobody really uses Weston. Most major desktop environments use their own protocol implementation and at least some of them have color management handled with colord hacks. It's not ideal, but to be fair – it's not ideal in X11 either.

Comment

I had to smile at this CVE, because only recently somebody here was trying to tell us that root-privileged X11 was a security feature. xD

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post

New code tends to be less secure than mature code, so replacing it is a recipe for more security issues.
          Wayland is arguably more mature than Xorg: developers were able to learn from the mistakes in Xorg, which couldn't be done in Xorg itself due to being constrained by backwards compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

Major windows manager such as Gnome, Kde and sway don't use this reference implementation Weston.
            They refuse to participate as they have their own requirements: kde uses Qt and Gnome uses its own implementation, sway also has its implementation that is designed to be reusable.

It's likely they already got color management done.

What?
            I use swaywm before switching to macbook air and it works fine for me and it's totally functional.
            KWin does not use the Qt Wayland implementation, it also has its own.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

That totally depends on the design...
              And you also don't give any backing data for this.

You are literally saying that a new project implemented with experience and lessons learnt from the past is definitely worse than your 20 years old project which is unmaintained, contains heaps of legacy code and uses quite some hacks for certain functionalities to work.
              The idea that new code has more bugs than mature code is well known. While I have seen charts showing fewer bugs found in old code versus bugs found in new code, I do not have any links on hand to provide. Just ask various experienced developers and you will hear the same from many more people than just me.

That said, any project to write a replacement for a mature codebase from scratch will have more bugs than its mature predecessor until it matures itself. That is a fact of life.

Comment

I am pretty sure that X.org trolls won't disappear in my potential lifetime, 40-50 years into the future. Wayland is ready, NOW, to be used by 99% of Linux desktop users for all their needs. Perhaps a feature or two are still missing, boo-hoo. It is still usable for most. Let the corpse of X11 to die already.

Comment

That said, any project to write a replacement for a mature codebase from scratch will have more bugs than its mature predecessor until it matures itself. That is a fact of life.
                  I'm sure that's true in many cases, but as a general rule, I don't think you can claim that. It really depends on a lot of circumstances.
                  e.g. you might be able to avoid a big amount of bugs by starting with an improved design. You might do more unit testing. Or use a language that reduces the number of bugs by design.

Also, you might fall into the trap of assuming there are fewer bugs because nobody is looking for them.
                  Take KDE as an example. KDE 3.5 is pretty mature, right? Even at the time, it was considered relatively low on bugs and quite stable. So now that it has "matured" as Trinity, it should be very low on bugs?
                  Well, wrong. A couple of years ago a KDE dev looked into known bugs of KDE Plasma and KDE applications and checked whether Trinity is affected and as it turned out this was the case numerous times. There just wasn't anybody looking for these, since nobody, apart from a few stubborn people, is using the thing.

With X11, this is only partly the case. Of course there are many many users out there running X11. But on the other hand, there aren't really that many developers working on it, so less people studying the code.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

KWin does not use the Qt Wayland implementation, it also has its own.
                    Thanks for correction!
                    I've fixed the original comment.

Comment

The idea that new code has more bugs than mature code is well known. While I have seen charts showing fewer bugs found in old code versus bugs found in new code, I do not have any links on hand to provide. Just ask various experienced developers and you will hear the same from many more people than just me.

No, this is not actually a "law" or "rule. Yes, code needs review, testing, bug fixing, but it is not like it is a law of nature that old code has less bugs than new code. If a new project written from scratch uses better practices, made by better people, better organized, with better tools and languages, on better hardware, etc etc, it can have fewer bugs even when brand new. You can't know for sure these things. And old code, no matter how mature, doesn't mean it is polished just because bugs aren't being reported. X11 is full of holes that were inside the code for ages, they just got discovered (or disclosed) now. Same with hardware bugs like Meltdown, they existed for ages until someone noticed them and disclosed them to the public, before that, everyone thought those old "mature" cpus were without such bugs....

Comment

Working...
                      X