Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org's Xvidtune Sees New Release After A Decade

Phoronix: X.Org's Xvidtune Sees New Release After A Decade

In marking ten years since the prior release, Xvidtune 1.0.4 was released on Saturday with all the patches that have buult up over the past decade...

Another 10 years? Easily. Wayland still isn't reliable. And when (if ever?) it becomes reliable, it will need to mature first. So 10 years is nothing, really.

Comment

XZ tarballs? Everyone else already moved to zstd.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Another 10 years? Easily. Wayland still isn't reliable. And when (if ever?) it becomes reliable, it will need to mature first. So 10 years is nothing, really.
        Last time I checked, The protocol for Wayland was actually a nice way to handle a desktop environment while an Wayland compositor (implementation) for the Desktop Environment was hard and the thing that takes time.
        With your statement it's hard to know what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          XZ tarballs? Everyone else already moved to zstd.
          zstd is worse since it has worse compression, especially for stuff you download or store for ages like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
            Last time I checked, The protocol for Wayland was actually a nice way to handle a desktop environment
            Are you sure you checked?

Wayland (the protocol) can't even tell you a window's position on the desktop, by design. "Nice" desktop environment indeed.

You are a power user and have a script that automatically puts your tooltip near a window you want? Can't do it.

This is not a lack of resources. Patches are not welcome. It's by design, because it's designed by paranoid shitheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              zstd is worse since it has worse compression, especially for stuff you download or store for ages like this.
              What makes you think the best compression ratio is the most important aspect? The distributors also care about CPU use of their CI pipelines. The end users want faster updates. The reason why distros moved to zstd is faster overall speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Are you sure you checked?

Wayland (the protocol) can't even tell you a window's position on the desktop, by design. "Nice" desktop environment indeed.

You are a power user and have a script that automatically puts your tooltip near a window you want? Can't do it.

This is not a lack of resources. Patches are not welcome. It's by design, because it's designed by paranoid shitheads.
                Isn't that the compositors job to do that? The compositor handles the window system as far as I know because they also act as compositing window managers.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong though.

Comment

Oh look, x11 ecosystem is not dead yet 😂

Comment

I haven't had a CRT for a long time, but have been looking for some, I wonder if any wayland compositors will be suitable for use

Last time I checked, The protocol for Wayland was actually a nice way to handle a desktop environment while an Wayland compositor (implementation) for the Desktop Environment was hard and the thing that takes time.
                    With your statement it's hard to know what you mean.
                    wayland is a protocol that is missing plenty of features directly leading to massive ammounts of fragmentation, wayland itself, as a protocol is not ready​​

Isn't that the compositors job to do that? The compositor handles the window system as far as I know because they also act as compositing window managers.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong though.
                    it depends. if you want something you can share reliably? then no. do you want to make different scripts for every compositor you use? no? then no. (I myself actively use Wlroots, Kwin, and Smithay). do you want to change compositors because your compositor doesn't support the specific feature? etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X