No announcement yet.

Cairo Graphics Library Drops OpenGL Support After A Decade Of Inactivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, thanks for the information regarding Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
      Hardware rendering is efficient, but the problem is that it's difficult to make it high quality, all attempts to make hardware rendering, for example, for fonts and various primitives always ends in blurry image and mandatory sub-pixel anti-aliasing in all fonts (look at QML) which you are not able to disable.
      Other way 'round. It's GTK4 that dropped subpixel anti-aliasing, likely because the Gnome people rewriting it to use the GPU own $1000 hi-DPI laptops and can't see the difference. Compositing subpixel antialiased text with full correctness on both light and dark backgrounds requires per-color alpha channels, (RGBrgb instead of RGBa), which from what it sounded like in the bug tracker and MR discussions, is not supported natively by GPUs and has to be done in a shader.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

Other way 'round. It's GTK4 that dropped subpixel anti-aliasing, likely because the Gnome people rewriting it to use the GPU own $1000 hi-DPI laptops and can't see the difference. Compositing subpixel antialiased text with full correctness on both light and dark backgrounds requires per-color alpha channels, (RGBrgb instead of RGBa), which from what it sounded like in the bug tracker and MR discussions, is not supported natively by GPUs and has to be done in a shader.
        I've always used accelerated Cairo, and since all the other backends were dropped DRM, GLES and OpenVG, OpenGL was the last one standing. It's worked fine for years. I've completely given up on GNOME at this point, despite having used it since version 1.0. The current crop of developers seem to have zero regard for the opinions or needs of users outside of their echo chamber, and to be honest it makes me quite sad. I switched to KDE Plasma on my laptop, and Sway on my desktop. Enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          *mostly not used for gtk4. However it is an optional renderer for gtk4 (which would not use the Open GL paths as it is the CPU based renderer) and some of the drawing API is still used for AFAIK the drawing area widget. Best way to describe it would be deprecated-but-not-really.
          Cairo is still the only way of drawing complicated vector graphics in GTK4. GSK then renders images rendered by Cairo using OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Caturba View Post

Cairo is still the only way of drawing complicated vector graphics in GTK4. GSK then renders images rendered by Cairo using OpenGL.
            And Libreoffice uses Cairo as the sole supported method of font rendering regardless of the toolkit used. The qfont code is unmaintained and on the chopping block.

Comment

Working...
            X