Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source VIA Linux Driver Still Wants To Be Merged, But Pursuing Acceleration First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roviq View Post
    I really appreciate the efforts put into this driver. As my first PC was a Cyrix CPU, I always followed their products and the VIA's when they acquired/merged/whatever-happened with Cyrix/IDT/Centaur.

I had a few VIA C3, C7, Nano based machines, all Mini-ITX (which was designed by VIA as well!), but the last one I had, a top-of-their-line quad core Nano, was so unbelievably slow even compared with its contemporary low end alternatives from AMD and Intel, that I decided to sell my VIA collection. Even with their own GPU drivers on Windows 10, some applications didn't work (even hardware tools like WD Dashboard for checking drive's health and some Java visualization tools) because they required an OpenGL profile (embedded? ES?) that didn't exist back then. Probably the hardware can support it and be enabled, but the driver didn't publish the capability, and that OpenGL profile seems to be used by many modern apps that require just basic 2D/3D acceleration.

Checking eBay I see very few and scattered models and Thin Clients using those CPUs, but there are plenty of VIA chipset with integrated-graphics motherboards that could benefit from this effort, but, all of it a decade or more old.

Is someone doing something similar with SiS chipsets/GPUs?
    So: quick update necroposting.... I just got dumped today with about 5 VIA thin clients with the "newer" graphics chipset. I had 1 similar device a few years back so e-mailed Kevin. He replied and was very friendly and set realistic expectations.

However: the other 15 devices are even older BUUUUUT I think will work with this driver! The devices are all 64-bit CPUs, 4-8GB RAM, and have 120GB 2.5" SSDs installed so they aren't complete garbage and can find a use. There's always use for low-end hardware for after-school or before-school community programs. The biggest issue is lack of any sort of hardware-accelerated media decode.

I'm wondering if that partial-downstream / partial upstream split has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

So: quick update necroposting.... I just got dumped today with about 5 VIA thin clients with the "newer" graphics chipset. ...
      Yes, those were pretty popular in thin clients, you can also look up https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/ - this guy is all about Thin Clients (+ Linux). You might find a lot of useful info there, e.g. on opening the case (some are pretty pesky), possibilities of HW upgrades, BIOS options/isuses and the likes.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It is possible to use PCIe 16x video cards via risers: PCIe 1x -> 16x or M.2 NVME -> PCIe 16x.
        It is possible to use NVME M.2 drives on PCIe 1x - 16x slots via NVME risers, including boot on legacy BIOS systems.

Comment

Working...
        X