Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Work-In-Progress Rust-Written Apple DRM Driver Manages To Start Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Work-In-Progress Rust-Written Apple DRM Driver Manages To Start Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: The Work-In-Progress Rust-Written Apple DRM Driver Manages To Start Wayland's Weston

Last week the Rust-written Apple Direct Rendering manager (DRM) Linux driver for supporting Apple M1/M2 graphics managed to rendered its first cube. Asahi Linux contributor Asahi Lina today is back at it and working on getting more of this experimental kernel driver working for the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The article says display output is not working yet, but I think that's wrong. The cube image (in an earlier article) was data grabbed directly from the framebuffer using debug commands and shown in an image viewer. The window in these screenshots, on the other hand, is live output of a HDMI capture card capturing the output of the laptop, which shows display out is working.

One other note is that in the Weston screenshot, the framerate is a bit low because it currently likes to hang when turning off debug logging. The slowdown caused by debug logging presumably avoids some deadlock situation somewhere. So still a lot to do.
    Last edited by zcansi; 28 September 2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zcansi View Post
      The article says the actual display is not working yet, but I think that's wrong. The cube image (in an earlier article) was data grabbed directly from the framebuffer using debug commands and shown in an image viewer. The window in these screenshots, on the other hand, is live output of a HDMI capture card capturing the output of the laptop, which shows display out is working.

One other note is that in the Weston screenshot, the framerate is a bit low because it currently likes to hang when turning off debug logging. The slowdown caused by debug logging presumably avoids some deadlock situation somewhere. So still a lot to do.
      The description on today's Asahi Lina YouTube livestream says: "Last time I finally rendered a cube using my driver!! The actual display output doesn't work yet though, and there is a bug in the driver that breaks desktop environments...​" (emphasis added)
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The description on today's Asahi Lina YouTube livestream says: "Last time I finally rendered a cube using my driver!! The actual display output doesn't work yet though, and there is a bug in the driver that breaks desktop environments...​" (emphasis added)
        Yes, that was the point where the last stream ended and the current livestream started (she's still live), with a manual framebuffer grab. I came into the current stream late, but I assume she must have fixed something in the meanwhile? I'm not entirely sure though, since "display out" might also refer to the physical display, which we can't see on the stream.

Comment

I love all these awesome things Lina is doing, but that distorted high pitch voice, especially with that 5 second loop of elevator music is just insufferable.
          Last edited by anarki2; 28 September 2022, 10:00 AM.

Comment

It's nice to see it progressing so fast.
            Kinda unfair that Apple doesn't contribute a single bit to this though, but in the end, their users will benefit with the possibility of switching to Linux.
            I wonder who's funding all this and for which purpose...
            Last edited by MastaG; 28 September 2022, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              I love all these awesome things Lina is doing, but that distorted high pitch voice, especially with that 5 second loop of elevator music is just insufferable.
              Has to agree, I just click into the live stream and the high pitch voice sounds quite uncomfortable to me.
              To BG music is ok for me though.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

Has to agree, I just click into the live stream and the high pitch voice sounds quite uncomfortable to me.
                This. Doesn't sound natural and I don't understand why anybody would want to distort his voice like that.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

This. Doesn't sound natural and I don't understand why anybody would want to distort his voice like that.
                  I don't know her reasons specifically but I have seen others vtubers do it for privacy. I just don't bother with the streams. If you are looking just for the quick updates, you can just follow the tweets instead.

Comment

I wonder if she's working on it because of my tweet. Well, at least it's fun think about it

Comment

Working...
                    X