Rust-Written Apple DRM Linux Kernel Driver Renders First Cube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post

I always ask where the x86 laptop is that is even remotely in the same ballpark as an Apple silicon MBA that runs without any active cooling. I am still waiting for a serious answer.
    I've always loved these comparisons. The apple fan will innocently throw in some carefully chosen condition ("without active cooling"; "with a retina display"; "with Apple FaceIDtm") that is irrelevant to the actual comparison (performance / cost).

I can get a laptop with a 1260p and a GTX 2080 for $1100 off of Costco. I can also get a laptop with a i7-12700H with various GPUs from a 1650-MaxQ to a 3060 to a 3070Ti, ranging from $1000 to $1600.

Of course, the predictable response is "but it has active cooling". Well, first: so does the M2. And more importantly: when talking about a workstation, everything is a trade-off, but if you want a high-performance laptop with good power usage on a budget, either the 12700H or the 1260P will do that. And if you want high graphics performance, you can get that too-- but it will cost you in wattage and heat.

But the idea that, on its face, the M2 is a good deal for the performance is laughable. Maybe 2 years ago, not today, not with the Intel 12th gen and the AMD 6000 and 7000 series.
    Last edited by ll1025; 26 September 2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post
      I've always loved these comparisons. The apple fan will innocently throw in some carefully chosen condition ("without active cooling"; "with a retina display"; "with Apple FaceIDtm") that is irrelevant to the actual comparison (performance / cost).

I can get a laptop with a 1260p and a GTX 2080 for $1100 off of Costco. I can also get a laptop with a i7-12700H with various GPUs from a 1650-MaxQ to a 3060 to a 3070Ti, ranging from $1000 to $1600.

Of course, the predictable response is "but it has active cooling". Well, first: so does the M2. And more importantly: when talking about a workstation, everything is a trade-off, but if you want a high-performance laptop with good power usage on a budget, either the 12700H or the 1260P will do that. And if you want high graphics performance, you can get that too-- but it will cost you in wattage and heat.

But the idea that, on its face, the M2 is a good deal for the performance is laughable. Maybe 2 years ago, not today, not with the Intel 12th gen and the AMD 6000 and 7000 series.
      try making the same evaluation running on battery

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        […]The reality is that AMD's Rembrandt has nearly matched Apple in battery life while beating it in performance. I can't make this up, the numbers are real.[…]
        lol.png
        You should watch the videos you are using to prove your false claims. The video also contains quite a few benchmarks where the MBP wins.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post
          Why is only performance/cost relevant? Isn't that exactly the same carefully chosen condition? Especially for a mobile device battery life *is* important. You only want or need a mobile workstation? Good. Buy something that fits your needs. Like we all do.

Comment

lol.png
            You should watch the videos you are using to prove your false claims. The video also contains quite a few benchmarks where the MBP wins.
            the real issue is performance on battery, which for whatever reason I think matters the most on laptops :P If you want a desktop looking like a laptop, fine, that's your problem. But for any relevant perf figure actually relevant to laptops (battery lifetime and performance on battery) x86 looks really poor.

Comment

If you say "I think they recently fixed Bluetooth but you can't use it with WiFi at the same time." then this is bending the truth to fit your narrative. It is intentionally misleading and not telling the truth IF he is informed.
              I cannot disagree with that, sadly. But that is already giving the user more attention than is deserved here.
              he will never buy a apple m1/m2... and to justify this he search for arguments.
              bluetooth or wifi or whatever does not matter...

he is the customer of a notebook with intel 13900K with Nvidia RTX4000 gpu

the big question here is why he shows up in every apple hardware forum topic.

even if apple would have give us perfect linux driver support he will never buy an apple product.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                You currently have hardware encoders on all Intel, AMD, and Nvidia GPUs. Most of them are far more advanced and produce higher quality output then Apple does at same bitrate. Intel already has AV1 encode support and Nvidia rtx 4000 as well.
                Also no, hardware encoders are still behind software encoders, just hardware encoders are simply a lot faster (but their quality is behind and in case of Apple A LOT behind).
                that was just an example big part of apple m1/m2 are ASICs and people judge apple silicon based on general purpose compute workloads what is idiotic if you have a ASIC for that job.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                  yeah well.. others detect if people talk nonsense and ignore them. But most of the discussion here is totally misinformed and driven by "believes". I can only advise to most of the people here to just use that high end macbook pro for a day unplugged. And then we can talk.
                  This laptop outperforms all others unplugged. And if your only excuse is "yeah well.. just do stuff on your desk with AC plugged in" you are missing the point of laptops.
                  if you use a closed source game with x86 binary with directX on that apple notebook with rosetta2 and so one
                  you end up with 1 hour and 30 minutes play time.

thats Dukenukemx​ argument some AMD notebooks give you more play time on battery on that task.

Comment

Not exactly. Nvidia did open source their drivers after many years of complaining, and even Linus Torvalds giving them the finger.
                    Don't buy Apple products until they do. You do know how capitalism works?
                    wrong Nvidia did not opensource their drivers. nvidia did opensource a kernel module without userspace driver.

you can not use it without a closed source usersprace driver.

Comment

And yet the Air products thermal throttle. Turns out the M1 is even worse at it than the M2, it's just that nobody cared enough about Apple's products to fully look into it. It took 2 years for tech reviewers to even glance at Apple's silicon to see if the claims were true. They are not only incorrect but it's far worse than anyone could imagine. I wouldn't calls Mac OSX usable.
                      right i call it a fact that apple notebooks are very very bad at gaming right now.

but the people wo buy apple m1/m2 are all not gamers thats for sure.

and apple could fix many of these problems if they license AMD RDNA3 gpu design.

Comment

Working...
                      X