Linux's Display Brightness/Backlight Interface Is Finally Being Overhauled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post
    On KDE power cycling may cause Plasma desktop to crash. I think it also once happened to me with XFCE a long time ago.
    I'm on XFCE and never had a problem with standby or power cycling of my monitor. I regularly turn it off manually. Only thing that bothers me is some error in EDID detection (need a modeline for 144 Hz), but that is an xorg problem.

Also turning of a second monitor in windows puts all programs on the running screen and not automatically back if switched on again. Not sure how it could be done better, no one knows if the second monitor will ever come back and if you want all the programs automatically moved back.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

Me too. It's infuriating.
      But I always thought it was a Muffin/Mutter issue. Could it be lower level than that?

EDIT: I just discovered a Cinnamon extension by nathan818fr called "Back to Monitor" which solves this issue! hamishmb you might want to try it out!
      Moving windows to other displays that still exist is good behavior. As you noted about the extension, the real problem is that DEs/WMs aren't always smart about moving them back when that display comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Moving windows to other displays that still exist is good behavior. As you noted about the extension, the real problem is that DEs/WMs aren't always smart about moving them back when that display comes back.
        I disagree. A window manager should not randomly and unexpectedly re-arrange my windows. Windows should only move when I (the user) move them.
        Last edited by unis_torvalds; 17 September 2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I disagree. A window manager should not randomly and unexpectedly re-arrange my windows. Windows should only move when I (the user) move them.
          But then if you eg unplug your laptop with a monitor plugged in to work elsewhere, you can't access or move the windows that were open on the other monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

But then if you eg unplug your laptop with a monitor plugged in to work elsewhere, you can't access or move the windows that were open on the other monitor.
            Then that would be my problem, wouldn't it. Nevertheless, even if I choose to move a window to monitor 3 and then turn off monitor 3, the OS has no business second-guessing my intent. A computer should always defer to the user's input/instructions.

And to speak specifics, we are talking about Cinnamon DE here, so I can simply right click on an app in the taskbar and select "move to other monitor" or hit ctl+alt+up-arrow and drag my windows between screen buffers with the mouse. So nobody's screwed if a window gets marooned on a disconnected monitor.

And furthermore, the behaviour you have described (relocating windows on a monitor disconnect) is not the behaviour we are griping about. What is actually happening is some windows jump to new positions when a new monitor is connected (or powered on). Which serves no practical purpose and is rather clearly a bug not a feature.

EDIT: I wonder if different signals are sent in the event of a monitor disconnect (i.e. the signal cable is unplugged) and a monitor power cycling (i.e. monitor is powered off or power cable unplugged). I take your point that, in the case of a laptop, it's convenient to re-arrange the workspace when you unplug from an external monitor. I'm on a desktop workstation with shared monitors in different arrangements, so power cycling happens often and the random teleporting windows drives me nuts (also because I work with many many floating windows). They should damn well stay where I put them.
            Last edited by unis_torvalds; 17 September 2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Sure windows should move if a monitor is removed. Maybe one could create a virtual desktop for each monitor and keep the virtual desktop after removal with all it's windows. But virtual desktops are not connected as in having windows spann between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Sure windows should move if a monitor is removed.

But the issue in question is when a monitor is added/connected.

Comment

But the issue in question is when a monitor is added/connected.
                  The whole thread is about removal and addition of monitors.
                  The article is about brightness regulation.
                  I'm not sure what your on about?

Comment

Imagine a docked laptop, lid closed, one or many external displays connected. If you think most people want to un-dock their laptop and potentially have zero of their application windows be usable on their laptop display you are nuts. Yes, I'm sure they want to right click on all 15 icons in their panel representing running programs and manually move them back to their laptop display. You are confusing what you as an individual think should happen vs. what the overwhelming majority of people would like to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

It always baffled me why they don't just create new virtual desktops for them. Even Windows has virtual desktops now... In Gnome and Windows which have a single row of desktops, I'd love it if I had the option to get an extra vertical row of desktops every time I disconnected an external monitor. Have 3 desktops with 3 monitors? that's 9 panes of which 3 are visible at a time in the virtual desktop manager. Disconnect a screen and you get 6 panes on the main monitor. Disconnect the second and you get 9 in the remaining one monitor. Re-attach a screen and one of those rows of panes goes back to it....

I don't understand why people make complicated solutions that don't work (moving the windows back) instead of doing something simple and letting people manually re-arrange if they feel like it...

Comment

Working...
                      X