Renewed Talk Of User-Space Consoles, Accelerators In The DRM Subsystem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewed Talk Of User-Space Consoles, Accelerators In The DRM Subsystem

Phoronix: Renewed Talk Of User-Space Consoles, Accelerators In The DRM Subsystem

Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) subsystem maintainer has shared some notes following this week's Linux Plumbers Conference in Dublin. In particular, the matter of whether the growing number of accelerators / AI devices belong within the DRM subsystem or elsewhere and separately there is renewed talks of user-space consoles to potentially push Linux distributions towards moving away from the in-kernel VT...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting post on Reddit from someone who actually tried to use what is proposed as a replacement for kernel VT: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...t_vts_in_2022/

Comment

I'd welcome some vt that has true color support of the box.

Comment

"Interesting post on Reddit...", I found "cage" but what is "foot"?

Comment

I think the in-kernel vt and in fact the whole try subsystem should be removed and implemented in userland.

Comment

The nice thing about the built in VTs is the ultra-low input latency. Even on X11 without compositing you generally don't get that kind of responsiveness. Maybe xterm is close. At times it feels like the letters show up before you even really hit the keys. It's always a reminder of how good things could be.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
              The nice thing about the built in VTs is the ultra-low input latency. Even on X11 without compositing you generally don't get that kind of responsiveness. Maybe xterm is close. At times it feels like the letters show up before you even really hit the keys. It's always a reminder of how good things could be.
              I feel it's like saying that MS-DOS was so lightweight. On a modern system you need font antialiasing, you need full Unicode support, you need support for languages writing right-to-left or vertically, screen compositing is a core foundation of the graphics environment, etc. This all takes CPU, obviously, and that will always make it slower than trivial text mode VTs, but I want Linux to do everything that Windows and MacOS do, only better.

Comment

Originally posted by daPramDeech View Post
                Native Wayland terminal emulator that is light on dependencies, doesn't force on you a widget toolkit, and unlike those new shiny terminal emulators, it doesn't need libGL or EGL, so you don't need to throw mesa into your initramfs, and this works great when running cage with wlroots' pixman renderer, not-to-mention that you will hit zero libGL bugs (curse Intel Haswell & Broadwell).

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

[...] On a modern system you need font antialiasing, you need full Unicode support, you need support for languages writing right-to-left or vertically, screen compositing is a core foundation of the graphics environment, etc. This all takes CPU, obviously, and that will always make it slower than trivial text mode VTs.
                  I don't think that everyone need the full unicode support with font anti aliasing. Mostly want a lightweight terminal that works *in a reliable way* even when the system is in critical condition (eg. low memory and/or after a crash of the kernel to watch the log).

Consoles under X11/Wayland with full unicode support already exists and are good enough for the day by day use.

The true is that the needing of KSMC is more for the kernel developer to get rid of old code, than for the user. For me it was enough the classical linux console, the few times that I need it. However now it is near unusable due to the scroll back removal.
                  This is one the reason why I looked to KSMC; but it is over-complicated for my needing.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  [...]but I want Linux to do everything that Windows and MacOS do, only better.
                  I don't think that the windows console (without graphics) is better than the linux one.... if exists at all

Comment

Originally posted by daPramDeech View Post
                    A fast, lightweight and minimalistic Wayland terminal emulator

Comment

Working...
                    X