Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 To Drop Radeon DRM Driver's Legacy & Broken DP MST Code

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 To Drop Radeon DRM Driver's Legacy & Broken DP MST Code

In addition to the drm-misc-next pull from earlier in the week, another set of Direct Rendering Manager updates for the core DRM code and smaller drivers has now been submitted for DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Always sad to see features being removed. Can anybody confirm that the code was indeed broken for legacy Radeon? MST seem a like a very useful feature if you have multiple monitors.

Comment

Plenty of cards should still run with that driver, that seems weird.
      Have they been adding more cards to amdgpu?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Plenty of cards should still run with that driver, that seems weird.
        Have they been adding more cards to amdgpu?
        You're better off enabling the AMDGPU if you use a GCN 1.0-1.1 card. Last I checked I think the only regression was lack of support for VGA output in AMDGPU or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

You're better off enabling the AMDGPU if you use a GCN 1.0-1.1 card. Last I checked I think the only regression was lack of support for VGA output in AMDGPU or something along those lines.
          Yeah, but with my 4760HD, or whatever it was called, AMDGPU won't work (it's just another backup card in case my Polaris blows).
          I am also thinking cards like Northern Island should still be somewhat usable today, though without radeonsi not sure of the OGL status.

edit: oh wait I misunderstood the article, I thought they were removing the whole driver not just a broken part. My bad!

Comment

a bit confusing...

they're removing DP MST code from radeon, which is present in amdgpu. The problem there is that DC is required and disabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
              Always sad to see features being removed.
              according to the article, that feature never actually worked.

so it's not as much a case of "removing a (working) feature due to lack of maintainer", in as much as it is "removing a bunch of unstable code that didn't even get into workable feature to begin with, due to lack of developers".

Comment

Working...
              X