Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asahi Linux May Pursue Writing Apple Silicon GPU Driver In Rust

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

    the most evil company human history has ever seen...
    That's right, Facebook also has overflow and memory vulnerabilities: https://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/7758/Facebook.html
    Last edited by darkonix; 13 August 2022, 07:15 PM.

    Comment


    • #72
      After many decades of memory vulnerabilities and concurrency problems, I'm not sure the die-hard C programmers have a leg to stand on anymore.

      Turns out basically nobody is a "competent C programmer."

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

        BSD etc will have to rewrite the kernel driver anyway, as usual. Still, the linux implementation (and it's copious documentation) will be educational for them.
        I guess you make a good point, they already have to do that with wifi drivers but graphics up until now have been quite portable from what I've read.

        Comment


        • #74
          Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

          I guess you make a good point, they already have to do that with wifi drivers but graphics up until now have been quite portable from what I've read.
          They can use the userspace mesa drivers, but I expect the various kernel drivers for different GPUs are more of a mixed bag wrt licencing. Some of them may dual-licence as MIT and GPLv2, but others may not.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

            They can use the userspace mesa drivers, but I expect the various kernel drivers for different GPUs are more of a mixed bag wrt licencing. Some of them may dual-licence as MIT and GPLv2, but others may not.
            I don't know how but somehow OpenBSD and FreeBSD have solid up through 11gen Intel graphics support and RDNA2 AMDGPU graphics.

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

              I don't know how but somehow OpenBSD and FreeBSD have solid up through 11gen Intel graphics support and RDNA2 AMDGPU graphics.
              either MIT-GPLv2 dual licencing or reimplementation.

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                I don't like to learn new things so hate Rust, but actually have a technical reason on why Rust is the wrong choice: other operating systems working on the M1 or M2. OpenBSD has a port for the Mac M1 and I think NetBSD does too. They will never accept a rust driver into their OS so why not stick to C so everybody can benefit?
                Cause nobody cares about your BSDs. Hard truth, deal with it.

                The amount of hubris is actually outrageous. "why not stick to C so everybody can benefit". Yeah, why not intentionally make your life harder so that someone you don't care about will benefit? Why not give up actual technical reasons for progress so that someone else has an easier time staying in the long-obsolete past? Indeed, why not?

                Well, at least you're honest: you hate Rust not because it's bad, but because you don't like to learn new things.
                Last edited by intelfx; 15 August 2022, 02:34 PM.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                  Cause nobody cares about your BSDs. Hard truth, deal with it.
                  thats wrong apple and microsoft and any other criminal care about BSD because they can copy code steal it and make it closed-source and do harm their customers and establish monopoles to harm society.

                  but yes outside of this criminal group on one cares about BSD...
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

                    If that's your standard for being proven then you shouldn't have any issues with Rust.
                    How do you mean? I stated "if .. you are introducing 2 large risks, you are likely to loose your money" while as a hobbyist "you don't care as you put in mostly your spare time".

                    Then if you read back, (Rust in the kernel == new) && (Apple GPU == undocumented). 2 large risks.

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by ferry View Post

                      How do you mean? I stated "if .. you are introducing 2 large risks, you are likely to loose your money" while as a hobbyist "you don't care as you put in mostly your spare time".

                      Then if you read back, (Rust in the kernel == new) && (Apple GPU == undocumented). 2 large risks.
                      how are either of these two things risks? risks to what? peoples egos?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X