Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source VIA DRM/KMS Driver "OpenChrome" Not Ready For Merging Into Linux 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source VIA DRM/KMS Driver "OpenChrome" Not Ready For Merging Into Linux 5.20

Phoronix: Open-Source VIA DRM/KMS Driver "OpenChrome" Not Ready For Merging Into Linux 5.20

You may recall a month ago the lone developer still working on open-source VIA x86 graphics support for Linux hoped to finally mainline this "OpenChrome" DRM/KMS driver for the Linux 5.20 cycle. Well, Linux 5.19 is being released today and that opens up the Linux 5.20 merge window but still the OpenChrome DRM driver isn't ready to go yet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well, at least I doubt very many people are in a rush for it

Comment

Would be nice to at least get basic display on these boards, considering they found a lot of use in certain areas.

Comment

Can't VIA release some documentation for it since it's so obsolete now to help that solo developer out?

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
          Can't VIA release some documentation for it since it's so obsolete now to help that solo developer out?
          Unlikely. VIA's x86 team has already been poached by Intel and the remainder is focused on new products for the Chinese market: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaoxin

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
            Would be nice to at least get basic display on these boards, considering they found a lot of use in certain areas.
            This is what i wrote about the unichrome driver in 2005, 17 years ago: "Sure, this driver currently doesn't have a few glittery bits, but ask yourself: what use are they if you are unable to display them in the first place? Will you still care about those a year or two from now? If an X developer, 10 years from now, passes over this driver to adjust it to X-side changes, what will he think about those glittery bits and will they survive?"

I wrote this as a reaction to Openchrome forking away because i refused to let VBE modesetting, and thus a secondary codepath for display back into the codebase. Modesetting sadly never went anywhere though, and today we are still basking in the glow of the XvMC2 protocol with MPEG2 decoding support, and the amazing assembler based cpu specific copy functions.

Oh wait...
            Last edited by libv; 05 August 2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
              First off, openBSD folks liberated some docs back in 2005. To this day i am 100% convinced that the leader of that community has been actually useful, compared to what most people see as the religious leader of the GNU movement, as that guy is just a waste of time.

Secondly, after we at SuSE convinced AMD with the RadeonHD project to release documentation, both intel and VIA went and copied our move. With VIA it was just a one time thing though. AMD lost the internal struggle with ATI and stopped docs at the same time the RadeonHD project stopped. Intel went at least a decade further.
              Last edited by libv; 05 August 2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                well, at least I doubt very many people are in a rush for it
                If the hw has not died due to bad caps, or due to the processor burning out (VIA never was as efficient as they claimed, but they liked to reduce cooling, so processors generally ran hot), then the hw has mostly just aged badly.

The pre-nehemiah C3 was unable to run i686 code. And it took until 2008 until VIA shipped some x86-64 chips. This was the era of the intel Atom, and netbooks, and VIA based machines were the most crappy badly supported ones out there (and i know, i own quite a few of them).

VIA had a tiny window in the 2001-2006 era. When both intel and AMD processors used third party chipsets (SiS, VIA, nvidia and ati -- ali was already long gone by then). And before intel launched the Atom and VIA epias were useful small machines. VIA barely generated return buyers though with their bad software support.

So no-one sensible has bought this hw in 15 years. And VIA has not been making new chip designs in 11 years.

Comment

Working...
                X