Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux VKMS Driver Patches Making It Easier To Build Your Own Virtual Graphics Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux VKMS Driver Patches Making It Easier To Build Your Own Virtual Graphics Devices

Phoronix: Linux VKMS Driver Patches Making It Easier To Build Your Own Virtual Graphics Devices

The VKMS driver within the Linux kernel allows for virtual kernel mode-setting as a software-only KMS/DRM driver that can be used for virtual testing purposes and other uses around headless systems. New patches out of Google are working on ConfigFS support for this virtual display driver and from there making it easy to build out your own virtual graphics device configuration with VKMS...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-...nfigFS-Virtual

This might allow for things like vncdrm (a virtual DRM/KMS display, complete with framebuffer, X11 and Wayland support and controlled via VNC)...

Comment

huh, I was actually looking into doing something like this with vulkan venus. maybe venus can be made to work with this, never heard of vkms till now

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        huh, I was actually looking into doing something like this with vulkan venus. maybe venus can be made to work with this, never heard of vkms till now
        I have in the context that it can be used to pirate media.

Phoronix covered VMKS 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have in the context that it can be used to pirate media.

Phoronix covered VMKS 3 years ago.
          my main use for this would be for waydroid, getting the folks who run nvidia cards gpu acceleration, or rather unsupported gpu's at all that support vk. but that would need to be wired up to the venus backend I alluded too

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            This might allow for things like vncdrm (a virtual DRM/KMS display, complete with framebuffer, X11 and Wayland support and controlled via VNC)...
            Is this a better solution to dummy X11 graphics output when doing VNC on headless devices? I also assume this may fix the issue of Wayland not even properly supporting headless for RDP (at least with ubuntu which I am running on some machines).
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 25 July 2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              Is this a better solution to dummy X11 graphics output when doing VNC on headless devices? I also assume this may fix the issue of Wayland not even properly supporting headless for RDP (at least with ubuntu which I am running on some machines).
              A proper virtual DRM/KMS would allow you to do ctrl-alt-fn between multi X11/Wayland/tty on the headless end. So closer to KVM over IP solution without in fact having a BMC or a KVM over IP box.. Of course something like this will only be possible with VKMS development.

Remember dummy X11 graphics output with VNC if you restart you X11 server that can be you connection lost and you cannot switch to the text mode terminal and back.

Comment

Working...
              X