Arcan 0.6.2 Display Server Continues Working On Network Transparency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan 0.6.2 Display Server Continues Working On Network Transparency

Phoronix: Arcan 0.6.2 Display Server Continues Working On Network Transparency

Arcan 0.6.2 was released this week as the newest version of the open-source display server built atop a game engine and aiming to compete with the likes of X11 and Wayland while focusing on advanced capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I consider Arcan to be an extremely undervalued project, it deserves a lot more attention. Also, their community is extremely active too.

I consider X to be a dying zombie and Wayland to be half-baked. Arcan seems a lot more innovative to me.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I consider Arcan to be an extremely undervalued project, it deserves a lot more attention. Also, their community is extremely active too.

I consider X to be a dying zombie and Wayland to be half-baked. Arcan seems a lot more innovative to me.
      I can't agree with you more.

I wish Arcan would get some momentum behind it.

Comment

Same here. I wish it improves fast and challenge Wayland position as soon as possible. Wayland went for as low as possible "path of resistance", and the consequence of it is that, almost 14 years later, it is still unfinished, lacking and spawned 4 concurrent solutions, what is not reasonable/desirable, from my POV.

Cheers.

Comment

Though at this point it's still very rare to hear of end-users making use of Arcan as a display server even though with the likes of Xarcan can support running legacy X11 applications and the like.
          I have too many demands on my time right now to experiment much. Once staying on X.org becomes untenable, I'll explore using Arcan instead of something crippled by being fixated on being Wayland-centric.

Comment

I don't know why everyone here looks at Arcan like it's some kind of wayland antithesis when it's effectively a wayland window manager + compositor that just happens to be architectured around an event loop and graphics pipeline like game engines are. Like, from what I'm seeing, the real novelty is the systems research going into the TUI and the whole new dataflow thing. That stuff feels like plan9 plumb and pipe level magic where all the tools become extensions of your workflow... But the IPC choices that may or may not align with wayland? Those are really just a minor technical detail in my eyes in the same way I couldn't care less whether the it's 9p or URI so long as it's all file descriptors.

Comment

I agree. I wish DE's would focus on Arcan support rather than Wayland support. I use Wayland, but it's not all that cracked up to be. Arcan is much, much better in every way.

Comment

I don't get why Arcan ist still a thing. Is something targeting it or is it just a for-fun project?

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  I don't get why Arcan ist still a thing. Is something targeting it or is it just a for-fun project?
                  We are 2.5 months away from the 14 year anniversary of the first Wayland related commit. After 14 years of development, we probably have 1 full DE and one WM with excellent support (ignoring functional gaps that may be important to some people).
                  • GNOME
                  • Sway
                  KDE is getting there and is probably usable for many people today. Then there are smaller projects like Wayfire etc.

It seems normal to me for people to want to experiment with their own projects when the migration from X to Wayland has taken this long.

Comment

Are there actually any window managers for it? Can you run any apps on it natively? Is there any ecosystem around it? I'm really curious about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X