X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about being late to the party...

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Linux source code shouldn't be bloated with useless drivers for hardware nobody uses.
      Tell this to all the niche production machinery, and anything else that stays in kernel for years, and just a handful of people use it.
      What about Nintendo 64 support mainlined with 5.12, just a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        I think I actually have one of these somewhere...
        Same, padlock was incredibly useful for VPN acceleration as it beat AESNI to market by a few years.
        Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          I really liked via chipsets during the good old k6 + amd times
          Ah yes that where the good old times where you had to use pciset after every boot, cause the chipset was so buggy that when the bios set pci prefetch your ide controler destroyed your data, yes those via chipsets where beasts

Comment

I really liked via chipsets during the good old k6 + amd times
            Well, the intel 440BX really showed what a good chipset is. The via/sis/ were real crap compared to it.

Comment

As long there are users and maintainers i'm OK with it.
              This alone should be the only thing that dictates whether something says or goes in the kernel. And just as has been the case for many devices, nothing is preventing enthusiasts from just compiling their own kernel to use them. Not that it matters anyway, since most people using such devices do not benefit from newer kernels.

Comment

This the first I ever heard of this company.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
                  This the first I ever heard of this company.
                  VIA is everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    VIA is everywhere.
                    abu_shawarib
                    They've also been around since 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Linux is a testbed for innovation (even for older, niche hardware there are still innovations to be had). This is ultimately an end result of the "bazaar" nature of it all.

If you want a more reserved "cathedral" approach, there is FreeBSD (and certainly OpenBSD) though you do run the risk of less knowledgeable / beginners calling it "old" or "retro". Which is especially strange because VIA's older GPU drivers aren't intended to be included there
                      Less knowledgeable / fanboyish would call it modern, usable or production ready. Lets get real, the BSD's are a snapshot of how unix-like kernels and user-lands were in the 90s, they fit right into a group with IBM AIX and HP-UX and nothing is wrong with that because there are legacy machines for which a classic unix is fun to explore. But the only reason a company would ever use BSD's over more modern unix-like systems is that they explicitly do not want to give back, see Sony or Netflix, both giving more to Linux then they ever gave to the BSD's they use.

Comment

Working...
                      X