Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Window System Turns 38 Years Old

Phoronix: X Window System Turns 38 Years Old

This weekend marked 38 years since the inaugural release of the X Window System at MIT...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How long do you suspect until the Linux desktop is effectively Wayland-only, with X11 cruft largely a legacy remnant?
    I bet 2024 can be safely assumed as Wayland only Linux desktop on all major Linux distributions. Maybe even 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I bet 2024 can be safely assumed as Wayland only Linux desktop on all major Linux distributions. Maybe even 2023.
      I can safely assume that anyone needing Color Management won't be using Wayland anytime in 2023 or 2024....

Comment

This is not the ultimate window system, but I believe it is a good starting point for experimentation.
        Well it was a good stand in for 37 years lol

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

There are still many use cases where X11 works out of the box and Wayand does not.
          VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (mks) ISBRendererComm: Lost connection to mksSandbox (2878) A log file is available in "/data/srv/vm/Win10_pro_L3/vmware.log". You can request support. To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu. You can also ...

Life is too short to spend it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post

There are still many use cases where X11 works out of the box and Wayand does not.
            VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (mks) ISBRendererComm: Lost connection to mksSandbox (2878) A log file is available in "/data/srv/vm/Win10_pro_L3/vmware.log". You can request support. To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu. You can also ...

Life is too short to spend it like that.
            there are people that act like that whenever there is a technical innovation.

* who need cars? horses are just fine and car are dangerous and get stuck in mud.
            * who need electricity? candles are good enough, and are not as dangerous as electricity is.
            * who need the internet? Faxes are working perfectly, email is clunky!
            * who need wayland? there are several case where X11 works out of the box! Just stay with it forever!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

* who need cars? horses are just fine and car are dangerous and get stuck in mud.
              * who need electricity? candles are good enough, and are not as dangerous as electricity is.
              * who need wayland? there are several case where X11 works out of the box! Just stay with it forever!
              Well this cart is stuck in the mud for too long.
              Meanwhile, I have work to do, see you in 2030.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

There are also pepole who mindlessly jump on the new shiny thing even though it's technically and functionally deficient.
                I can see myself going with Arcan (even shinier and newer, too!) eventually, but not Wayland.
                I like new tech when it enables me do to more with less or something completely new that wasn't possible before. Like Rust enables me to write super-fast multithreaded code using a relatively ergonomic high-level language. Wayland mostly takes away on the name of dubious security and approved use cases ("you don't need that") without adding much.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
                  Well this cart is stuck in the mud for too long.
                  Meanwhile, I have work to do, see you in 2030.
                  not saying you have to jump to a new tech if it not working for you yet, but that's a different thing to completely dismiss it only because it is not 100% perfect yet.
                  changes takes time, and every one of us has a different good moment to jump into it but eventually it will be a step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
                    There are also pepole who mindlessly jump on the new shiny thing even though it's technically and functionally deficient
                    those are the early adopters and usually they help finding issues and improve the new shiny thing before it is available for everybody.
                    instead of bashing them, we should say "thank you!"

I myself like to try new things early, not necesarily stick with it for my actual job if they don't let me do what I need to do without wasting too much time/energy.

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
                    I like new tech when it enables me do to more with less or something completely new that wasn't possible before.
                    surely wayland will allows you to do thing with less (spaghetti code and stratification of protocols).

for example Go makes me achieve the same thing you could achieve with Rust in a much easier, faster and funny way (ok, just trolling here anyway, I've been learning both Rust and Go lately and I think I prefer the latter. Not bashing you for different tastes or different requirements)

Comment

Working...
                    X