X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Seems weird that they would care; isn't this like any other paravirt-only device driver?\

I look forward to this working, because it will make porting games to Linux a lot easier, since they can get all the platform stuff out of the way first (filesystems, networking, etc.) before or while addressing the renderer (which, if it's not worth a native port, may be a matter of tacking on DXVK or similar).
    not sure what is being referred to for the first part lol.

the linux kernel generally doesn't accept stuff with only closed source uses. which is why vmware has an open source gallium driver for their solution. (vbox use it too) and of course virtio-gpu is an open standard with qemu, crosvm, and more hypervisors using it.

before dxg was only useful when paired with a proprietary library that converted d3d12 calls to their generic api whatever that might be (I think it's direct gpu calls? just a guess). now it has other open source uses supposedly

won't really help many games outside of initial bring up I don't think. some sure. but doing d3d -> opengl (via wined3d)-> d3d12 generally will cause some issues (same for vk whenever it exists) all while in a hyper-v vm. Im sure it might help some but... who knows.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Seems weird that they would care; isn't this like any other paravirt-only device driver?\

I look forward to this working, because it will make porting games to Linux a lot easier, since they can get all the platform stuff out of the way first (filesystems, networking, etc.) before or while addressing the renderer (which, if it's not worth a native port, may be a matter of tacking on DXVK or similar).
    Last edited by microcode; 02 March 2022, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Pretty excited for this to get mainlined, can't wait to finally get a decent VM under windows when I need to use it. can't wait to test this 10 years from now when Microsoft decides to make a semi decent patch series.

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    Time to abandon this dx 🗑️ and concentrate on vulkan.
    actually this could be used for vulkan support. but that would require supporting open technologies, so its an intentional choice to work on d3d12 instead of vulkan because fuck us.

Leave a comment:

• baka0815
    replied
    Closing paranthesis does not work, I didn't set the link specifically, just copy and pasted it. *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• novideo
    replied
    Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
    link is broken because you put parenthesis outside

Leave a comment:

• baka0815
    replied
    Originally posted by Jbk0 View Post
    What does Christoph Hellwig mean by NAK?
    Negative (or No) Acknoledgement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acknow...(data_networks)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Jbk0 View Post
    Not acknowledged / reject

Leave a comment:

• Jbk0
    replied

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    DirectX sucks, kill it with fire.

Ig they contribute developers to DXVK and Wine's one to the point of extremely high compatibility, then I'm OK with it.

Otherwise, this Linux kidnapping inside Windows ecosystem is shameful.

Leave a comment:

• TheCanadianBacon
    replied
    Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    Time to abandon this dx 🗑️ and concentrate on vulkan.
    It's microsoft, basically fat chance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X