Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA-API Library 2.14 Released With AV1 Encode Interface

Phoronix: VA-API Library 2.14 Released With AV1 Encode Interface

Intel has released libva 2.14 as the newest version of this VA-API (Video Acceleration API) driver-agnostic library. Notably with libva 2.14 is adding an AV1 encode interface for upcoming GPUs having hardware-accelerated AV1 encode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo
    "Crocus is Gallium3D-based and performs just as wel"

Comment

Nice, probably means that ARC will have AV1 encode support.

EDIT: nvm, probably just the datacenter edition of the GPU. That's unfortunate.
      Last edited by dlq84; 22 February 2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Nice, I'd be in the market for an accelerator card that can just perform some transcoding, if it isn't too expensive (where can I find prices?) My use-case is using it with jellyfin: for now I use a W2100 that barely has the capacity to encode a single 30FPS real-time h.264 video. Bonus points if it can still drive displays and has basic 3D support, but that's not strictly necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

They haven't yet announced the encode/decode capabilities of client DG2.

Comment

highly doubt we will see av1 encode in consumer gpus for a while, decode however I can see new intel gpus having it

Comment

We don't know either way, right?

I think Intel needs to enable every silicon feature they can if they want to gain market share from amd/nvidia.

Comment

According to the recent investor presentation, Arctic Sound-M (a DC targeted device) will be the "Industries first GPU with AV1 encoding". Since that will not ship until after the desktop parts, that suggests that AV1 encode will not be included in the desktop part. AV1 encode hardware may require additional die space only available on the DC targeted GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

According to the recent investor presentation, Arctic Sound-M (a DC targeted device) will be the "Industries first GPU with AV1 encoding". Since that will not ship until after the desktop parts, that suggests that AV1 encode will not be included in the desktop part. AV1 encode hardware may require additional die space only available on the DC targeted GPUs.
                  Its likely using the same die as consumer parts. Not even Nvidia/AMD can afford to make unique dies for smaller server GPUs, and Intel has used consumer dies for similar products in the past.

"Industries" could refer to the server GPU business, not the gaming card industry... but I admit that's a stretch, and arbitrarily fusing off AV1 encode would be such an Intel move.

Comment

So then I wonder how much slower is it to encode AV1 on the CPU than HEVC?
                    My 6 cores Coffee Lake encodes 1080p 10bit HEVC at 5-20 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                    X