Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg Finally Retires XvMC Hardware Acceleration Code

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by cjcox View Post
    Back on topic, I think it's bad to assume that everyone is a [email protected] We let our biases of how desktops "must work" to taint how they "can work and do work". And in the process we may be getting rid of things that actually do have real world application. For the very very very very very few that understand...
    Do you know anyone with a real usecase for this? Even if they have one, I'm sure they can just stick to an older version of the software, no?

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by dEnigma View Post

      Do you know anyone with a real usecase for this? Even if they have one, I'm sure they can just stick to an older version of the software, no?
      when i saw this, my first thought was "this is going to suck for those stuck in the third world." but at the same time, i'm really unsure how well those older machines can actually run newer software. i would assume they would stick with older releases. i know linux has been famed for being "light* on resources" which gives it an impression that its good for older hardware but i think the mindset for developers is them just not wanting to make completely bloated software rather than making sure their software can run on twenty year old hardware. you can make something that performs very well, light on resources, but also take advantage of newer hardware capabilities. ffmpeg performs very well, but they also strive to support the latest technology.
      Last edited by middy; 17 February 2022, 12:24 PM.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by birdie View Post

        A single "x" has never meant anything pornographic. Triple "x" on the other hand means exactly that. Not sure if it was meant to be a lame joke or what.
        Depends on the context. Triple x can also mean a French kiss. Nothing pornographic about a French kiss. But you're right that it is often used to depict pornography as well.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Ignorance is universal. I live near a lot of violent and destructive BLM/Antife types. Gunshots are a common sound and the body count keeps growing. We saw the harm caused when these groups were given a voice and a platform. Ignore them and they shrink into irrelevance, like the KKK.
          In my neck of the woods here in Brazil, I kid you not, a couple of local gangs/drug dealers had the bright Idea of calling themselves "Estados Unidos" (United States) and "Al Qaeda". I suppose to better clarify their rivalry...

          Needless to say that they know nothing about the principles behind the names they choose. Is just to sound "cool".
          Last edited by [email protected]; 17 February 2022, 07:44 PM.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

            X was also used for whiskey, alcohol proofing. The more X's, the stronger the booze. That was way before X ratings were used for movies. X rating adult products was a thing that existed before X rated movies.
            Actually, from what I heard, that originated with carving Xes into aging barrels and throwing the barrels out after three Xes because the tannin in the wood had become too used up.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

              That's just dumb. Again I'm not claiming that they were dumb for going with the name. It fits with X11's naming scheme and X was only chosen for the protocol because it was the successor to W. But in 2022, when someone hears X-video, many or most are gonna think of the porn site, myself included. I was not aware that X had an extension with that name, it surprised me, so I wondered if someone working on these extensions ever would have thought that there would be something pornographic with a similar name in the future.

              Ya'll are acting like I was trying to make a thing of this lol There's no thing to be made. It was an observation. Call the fuck down lol
              XWayland... Adult-rated Wayland!

              (Seriously. If three Xes is pornographic, how pornographic must 11 Xes be?!)

              Reminds me of all the lost redditors who've wandered into /r/rust/ over the years and don't realize that Rust, the programming language, predates Rust, the game.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                That was the point

                I was aware of the XvMC Xvideo before I was the porn site so you coming in about how it's similar to a porno site sounds about as dumb as me rambling on about KKKDE.

                FWIW, it's not hard to make anything pornographic or offensive; especially when they share a bunch of letters. For example: you keep typing lol, are you into lolitas...little girls...or are you just shorthanding 'laugh out loud' which just happens to share the same letters of a word child perverts use? Yes, I know that sounds dumb AF, perverts just happen to be the simplest way that I can show how easy it is to pervert anything.
                Okay lol Instead of explaining all the things dumb about this post, I'll just ask this: What do you think I was saying/doing with my original post?

                Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Ignorance is universal. I live near a lot of violent and destructive BLM/Antife types. Gunshots are a common sound and the body count keeps growing. We saw the harm caused when these groups were given a voice and a platform. Ignore them and they shrink into irrelevance, like the KKK.
                This is an easy way to spot the conservative/racist/clown type :-)

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                  But in 2022, when someone hears X-video, many or most are gonna think of the porn site, myself included. I was not aware that X had an extension with that name, it surprised me, so I wondered if someone working on these extensions ever would have thought that there would be something pornographic with a similar name in the future.
                  Out of curiosity - and what would be the association you'd create when hearing "DirectX" ? Or "Xbox" ?
                  Would it be a wise investment to register some domains?
                  And why is it "X" when male's one chromosome is an "Y"?
                  Questions......
                  Last edited by reba; 17 February 2022, 05:53 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by reba View Post
                    Out of curiosity - and what would be the association you'd create when hearing "DirectX" ? Or "Xbox" ?
                    Why is everybody here so dumb? I wouldn't associate DirectX or Xbox with porn anymore than I would a Xylophone, which would be not-at-all. The reason for bringing up XVideos, the porn website, when hearing X-Video, the protocol, is because they're nearly identical. With or without the hyphen they're pronounced the same and they're capitalized the same. The only significant difference is that one is plural. It's not like they're similar only in the use of an X.

                    Let me help everybody out. Remember how NVDEC used to be called CUVID? That's not the same as COVID but we can all acknowledge that it's similar enough to be humorous, right? Is that a weird, far-reaching mental association to have now? No.
                    Last edited by Myownfriend; 18 February 2022, 01:12 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

                      Why is everybody here so dumb? I wouldn't associate DirectX or Xbox with porn anymore than I would a Xylophone, which would be not-at-all. The reason for bringing up XVideos, the porn website, when hearing X-Video, the protocol, is because they're nearly identical. With or without the hyphen they're pronounced the same and they're capitalized the same. The only significant difference is that one is plural. It's not like they're similar only in the use of an X.

                      Let me help everybody out. Remember how NVDEC used to be called CUVID? That's not the same as COVID but we can all acknowledge that it's similar enough to be humorous, right? Is that a weird, far-reaching mental association to have now? No.
                      That's how I know you weren't in band. Ever seen a xylophone stick?



                      It looks like an anal bead on a stick. Like I said before, it is very easy to pervert anything.

                      DirectX Video Acceleration. That Microsoft product has X Video in the name. Is that website hosting Microsoft approved porn videos?

                      Why is everyone being so dumb?

                      Because it's like associating 4:2:0 chroma subsampling with getting high or Mr. H. I didn't really want to Godwin the thread...but since 420 is a Godwin-able number I guess that makes me a Nazi...or a video...

                      To answer the question in the other post -- I'd say you were making relationships where they don't exist due to things being similar. It isn't hard to do as we've all demonstrated. My username could mean Shady Nazi instead of Idiot Stoner simply by using different meanings of the words and numbers used.

                      ssokolow And all of them forgot that before all of that Rust was the crap I wire wheel off steel before I work with it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X