Libinput 1.20 Being Prepared With Improved High Resolution Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput 1.20 Being Prepared With Improved High Resolution Scrolling

Phoronix: Libinput 1.20 Being Prepared With Improved High Resolution Scrolling

Libinput 1.19 launched last September with high resolution scroll wheel support finally in place while libinput 1.20 is in preparation for release that improves that functionality. Libinput 1.20 also makes other improvements to this widely-used input library on the Linux desktop that is leveraged by both X.Org and Wayland based environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to change the pointer speed rather than the pointer acceleration? libinput (or its frontends) doesn't seem to allow changing the pointer speed...

Comment

Libinput is garbage with ThinkPad trackpoints. Depending on the specific laptop they are either way too slow or way too fast. And there doesn't seem to be any speed settings available...

Comment

I hope this fixes the random nerfing of the MX Master's freewheel scrolling speed (scroll speed drops to one line per full wheel revolution). I'm getting tired of turning the mouse off and on to restore normal scroll behaviour. If I knew how to uninstall libinput and get back the behaviour from before it was integrated, I would in a heartbeat.

And at the same time, if I could figure out how to turn off GTK4's bizarre random slider speed variations (such that unpredictably the effective drag width of the slider becomes several times wider than the window, requiring a dozen lift-and-drags to move the slider 50%) I would do that too.

If there's a reason it's never the "year of linux on the desktop" it's the result of this desktop UI "progress" lol.
        Last edited by linuxgeex; 04 February 2022, 04:28 PM.

Comment

With every single mouse (and I tried a lot), scroll speed i browsers was always an issue in comparison to windows. I'm basically relying on "Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller" and similar extensions in order to have a functional scrolling for both DE and browser. It's kinda ridiculous to rely on 3rd party extensions for basic functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
            With every single mouse (and I tried a lot), scroll speed i browsers was always an issue in comparison to windows. I'm basically relying on "Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller" and similar extensions in order to have a functional scrolling for both DE and browser. It's kinda ridiculous to rely on 3rd party extensions for basic functionality.
            It doesn't help that Chromium lacks a built-in setting for mouse wheel sensitivity, unlike Firefox which provides many options for this in `about:config`.

Comment

Compiled and installed the 1.20-rc and it is quite a nice improvement. I'm using it with my SteelSeries Rival 110.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

It doesn't help that Chromium lacks a built-in setting for mouse wheel sensitivity, unlike Firefox which provides many options for this in `about:config`.
                It doesn't, you are right, the issue is that in comparison to Windows, scrolling is slow/messed up in every browser for some reason. Firefox does have an option for it for a long time now, but setting it to 40-50 makes it usable if I remember correctly doesn't really make sense, I think default is 10 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                  Libinput is garbage with ThinkPad trackpoints. Depending on the specific laptop they are either way too slow or way too fast. And there doesn't seem to be any speed settings available...
                  libinput is exceptionally well documented. Read it. You can create tweaks, and submit them. I have only ever used Thinkpads since I swapped to Linux about seven years ago. Most of them worked well (because of quirks submitted by other people). I made tweaks for a couple of them. Currently I use X1 G9 and it was fine out of the box. Just google for it, or start here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244883 and of course, RTFM https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/

Plus the developers are super helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                    I have used libinput on close to a dozen different thinkpad models, and found it to perform just fine by default for the trackpoint (which I use by default).

The only issue I had with a TrackPoint being too slow was on a first-gen ThinkPad X1 Yoga from 2015, but that turned out to be a physical issue with the trackpoint. The factory provided cap was a little too large, a replacement cap solved the issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X