• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Revised For July

X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Revised For July

Phoronix: X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Revised For July

X.Org 7.5 with the X Server 1.7 release was planned for release at the start of this month, but sadly they far from made it -- no test releases of the new X Server are even available yet. Though after reading Phoronix, Daniel Stone remembered this release schedule and has decided to give another try at X.Org 7.5...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzIzMg

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    I don't see it happening. To equal Windows' functionality you would need a load of packages. Those packages probably wouldn't integrate as well as the Windows components do.

Another part of the problem is choice. Do I target my app for ALSA, PulseAudio, or OSS4?
    Just use OpenAL like all sane cross-platform developers? It's the same sound API in Windows, Linux, BSD's, Solaris and so.

Leave a comment:

• R3MF
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    July 31 is OpenSuse 11.2's "Feature and version freeze for the base system" milestone. With the Xorg release planed for the middle of July it could be a close call especially if they are running late.

http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/11.2
    i see what you are saying, but it would be a great disappointment if suse failed to ship with 7.5.

presumably ubuntu 8:10 and fedora 12 would miss out too.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    There's an easy answer for the sound problem: target the pulseaudio-safe subset of ALSA by targeting the ALSA-safe subset of OSS

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    I don't see it happening. To equal Windows' functionality you would need a load of packages. Those packages probably wouldn't integrate as well as the Windows components do.

Another part of the problem is choice. Do I target my app for ALSA, PulseAudio, or OSS4?

Leave a comment:

• danboid
    replied
    DRI2? MPX? xorg 7.5 would seem to me the the most significant release of X in some time- maybe since XFree86 forked- and maybe you could go as far as saying this is the most significant release of X since its inception? I just did!

xorg 7.5! Gallium in Mesa! Public R600/R700 driver trees! 2009 is truly the year when everything aligns (at least improves SIGNIFICANTLY) for the open source graphics stack and why the post-Karmic Linux gaming world could be entirely different beast to its currently wimpy self.

Jaunty is barely a warm up - it'll be be post-Karmic distros that'll really be giving Ballmer a headache, headache HEADACHE!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by R3MF View Post
    i certainly hope so as i want to see this in opensuse 11.2.
    July 31 is OpenSuse 11.2's "Feature and version freeze for the base system" milestone. With the Xorg release planed for the middle of July it could be a close call especially if they are running late.

http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/11.2

Leave a comment:

• R3MF
    replied
    can they do it?

i certainly hope so as i want to see this in opensuse 11.2.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Finally someone agrees with me that Ubuntu isn't all that important.

*ducks*
    Hahaha. I was also going to say I don't use Ubuntu but thought better of it.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS also has mplayer 1.0 RC2, and unreleased ffmpeg. Of course these projects aren't as important as X.Org or Linux kernel.
    Finally someone agrees with me that Ubuntu isn't all that important.

*ducks*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X