Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation May Find A New Organization To Join

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation May Find A New Organization To Join

For the past several years the X.Org Foundation has been part of Software in the Public Interest (SPI) but are now considering other possible arrangements moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xorg will never die!!!

Comment

That's... good? I mean the only thing we know about SPI is that they donate money to projects like this... More money to xorg is good... Right? I mean there are actual developers who that money can go to who will actually improve xorg for it... Right?....

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        That's... good? I mean the only thing we know about SPI is that they donate money to projects like this... More money to xorg is good... Right? I mean there are actual developers who that money can go to who will actually improve xorg for it... Right?....
        Xorg foundation is the non-profit responsible for administrative management of various projects (like running the conferences or infrastructure) including Mesa and Wayland. It doesn't directly fund any development. So no, it's not going to help there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Xorg will never die!!!
          Yeah, we all have it on our old Linux LiveCD's.

Comment

As a treasurer of a (very small) non-profit, I can say that that position is one of the few in a non-profit that actually have semi-firm reporting deadlines (the various regulatory/financial agencies (including the IRS) tend not to have a sense of humor about dates), so if the issue is getting reports from others in order to create your own reports/filings, I can understand the frustrations and concerns. If this is an ongoing issue with SPI, and SPI cannot address it themselves, it may be time to look for a different partner.
            Last edited by CommunityMember; 22 January 2022, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Xorg foundation is the non-profit responsible for administrative management of various projects (like running the conferences or infrastructure) including Mesa and Wayland. It doesn't directly fund any development. So no, it's not going to help there.
              That's not quite true...X.Org funds EVoC (a thing kinda like Google Summer of Code) which is where it pays some developers (probably students) to work on coding for X.Org's projects. There may be some other ways where X.Org directly funds development as well...idk

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post

That's not quite true...X.Org funds EVoC (a thing kinda like Google Summer of Code) which is where it pays some developers (probably students) to work on coding for X.Org's projects. There may be some other ways where X.Org directly funds development as well...idk

https://www.x.org/wiki/XorgEVoC/
                Sure, I was under the impression that OP was asking more about long term funding for Xorg rather than student projects.

Comment

Working...
                X