Arcan 0.6.1 Released With More Features Added To This Open-Source Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    I agree! With every Arcan article, I'm sad that everyone went the Wayland route rather than the Arcan route.
    Me too.

Comment

I agree! With every Arcan article, I'm sad that everyone went the Wayland route rather than the Arcan route.
      On the plus side, Wayland is "just a protocol" and provides a much less "get your fingers into the guts of things" interface for applications than X11, so, unlike historical competitors to X11, it should be possible to easily transplant the Wayland application ecosystem onto Arcan down the line.

Comment

Despite the work nvidia did with adding support for gbm, arcan still doesn't work properly with nvidia; it just freezes at startup. Hopefully nvidia will have proper gbm support one day.

Comment

Originally posted by dec05eba View Post
          Despite the work nvidia did with adding support for gbm, arcan still doesn't work properly with nvidia; it just freezes at startup. Hopefully nvidia will have proper gbm support one day.
          Not only that. As of today, at least for me NVIDIA do not function properly with any Wayland compositor I've tried (Mutter, KWin, Sway, Weston). Sway was the closest to sort of working, though there was some glitches and flickering and the cursor wasn't visible (but when I tried some games on Xwayland, they were generally servicable).

Comment

Don't be sad.

PulseAudio as software suck, but it's nice as a protocol.
            Wayland is 'just a protocol' but all the current implementations suck.

I see Arcan as analogous to PipeWire, it's the future based on the standards and protocols of today so we don't have to reinvent the wheel, again.

Comment

Working...
            X