No announcement yet.

Arcan 0.6.1 Released With More Features Added To This Open-Source Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan 0.6.1 Released With More Features Added To This Open-Source Display Stack

Phoronix: Arcan 0.6.1 Released With More Features Added To This Open-Source Display Stack

Arcan as an open-source display server stack originally built atop a game engine and embracing VR/XR, and pushing forward on other new technologies is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Starship in the garage...

Comment

What does a graphic stack do anyway? Asks the program image from the driver, and gives it to the window manager?

Comment

Arcan gets full *BSD support before Wayland! Way to go!

Comment

What's this? Why have I never heard of it? Is it an alternative to X and Wayland? How well does it work in comparison to wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            What's this? Why have I never heard of it? Is it an alternative to X and Wayland? How well does it work in comparison to wayland?
            I always had the impression that it was more like a compositor and would work on top of Xorg and Wayland.

Now I am not so sure

Comment

Originally posted by jonix View Post

I always had the impression that it was more like a compositor and would work on top of Xorg and Wayland.

Now I am not so sure
              It is not. It's a completely separate display stack, like how Xorg is completely separate.

Comment

Really excited for Arcan. The way it'sg going it might actually be a viable replacement for Xorg eventually. The dev has been working on it for a few years and doesn't seem to plan on abandoning it any time soon. Lua as an extension language is a wise choice. I also like that it's trying to be a viable modern desktop display stack instead of a repurposed in vehicle infotainment display system.

Comment

I'm really curious where will it go. In next few years we could possibly see that Wayland is too hard to maintain and maybe it's not that bad idea to build some new solutions.

It's backwards compatible with X and Wayland, as far as I remember it can sandbox Xwayland instances - so problems like security and some other limitations can go away (multi DPI setups?), it's focused on modern tech, gives good amount of elasticity, brings some sort of framework that could be shared between UI implementations and also looks like it's very snappy. Just the timing is bad as there's a lot of push for Wayland. Also I read some time ago that it's not intended to bring traditional desktop UI on Arcan, but rather some weird experimental ones, but I can't see why something familiar couldn't be built on top of Arcan. Another thing is that the project can also never aim regular desktop usage.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
                    Really excited for Arcan. The way it'sg going it might actually be a viable replacement for Xorg eventually. The dev has been working on it for a few years and doesn't seem to plan on abandoning it any time soon. Lua as an extension language is a wise choice. I also like that it's trying to be a viable modern desktop display stack instead of a repurposed in vehicle infotainment display system.
                    I agree! With every Arcan article, I'm sad that everyone went the Wayland route rather than the Arcan route.

Comment

Working...
                    X